Week in Review
Alaska, Nebraska-Omaha and Miami University each recorded weekend sweeps in CCHA play to jump to the top of the standings after the first weekend of major in conference action. Alaska and Miami both did it on their own ice with the Nanooks of Alaska holding serve against Ferris State at home in a pair of tight games, while Miami took care of business against Bowling Green 4-3 and 3-0. Nebraska-Omaha swept Western Michigan in Kalamazoo with a pair of 7-5 and 6-0 victories. Also in conference play, Northern Michigan forced a weekend split with Ohio State in Columbus.
Michigan, Notre Dame, Michigan State and Lake Superior State all participated in non-conference games this past weekend. Michigan split a home series with Northeastern, a 4-3 win followed by a 3-2 loss, and ND, MSU and Lake Superior State all took care of business with a pair of weekend victories. Notre Dame won the Lightening College Hockey Classic with wins over Army and Air Force, Michigan State took a pair of high scoring games from Sacred Heart, and Lake Superior State swept American University.
1. Miami - Picking up where they left off last season.
2. Michigan State - Big weekend series with Michigan could shake things up.
3. Notre Dame - The biggest surprise of the CCHA.
4. Michigan - Will need at least a split with MSU this weekend to stay in title hunt.
5. Nebraska-Omaha - A sweep over WMU keeps the Mavericks in the title race early on.
6. Northern Michigan - A big series with Miami could put NMU near the top of the standings.
7. Alaska - Will contend for home ice in the CCHA tournament.
8. Ohio State - Another disappointing split on home ice.
9. Lake Superior - Must be wishing to have Jeff Jackson back from Notre Dame.
10. Ferris State - I expected more after their run at the end of last season.
11. Bowling Green - Couldn't capitalize on a lot of Miami mistakes on Friday night.
12. Western Michigan - Needs to learn how to play against unranked teams.
Players of the week
Offensive Player of the Week
- Scott Parse, Nebraska-Omaha, the Mavericks senior forward netted a goal and two assists in each of the Mavericks wins over Western Michigan this past weekend.
Defensive Player of the Week
- Alec Martinez, Miami, the sophomore defenseman from Miami University scored a power-play goal in each of the RedHawks victories over BGSU to go along with his series high nine blocked shots.
Matchup of the week
Michigan vs. Michigan State
Michigan is looking to get back on track after a disappointing split with Northeastern, but it won't be easy against the rival Spartans. U-M phenom Jack Johnson will sit through Friday's game as a result of his DQ last weekend, but he should be back on the ice Saturday in Ann Arbor. Whichever team wins the weekend series has a leg up on Miami in the CCHA standings.
The Michigan offense has not received a single goal from a third or fourth line forward this season. Michigan can't be succcessful if only the first two lines put points on the board. As the center of the third line, pressure is going to fall on the shoulders of Travis Turnball to give the Wolverines a little extra offensive umph.
Michigan can't overcome the loss of Jack Johnson in Friday nights contest and drops a tight one in East Lansing. Despite coming home on Saturday, the Wolverines struggles against the Spartans continue as they skate to a low scoring tie. Michigan State gets three points.
In other action...
Alaska vs. Nebraska-Omaha
Lake Superior vs. BGSU
Northern Michigan vs. Miami
Prediction: Miami takes 3 points
Notre Dame vs. Ohio State
Prediction: Notre Dame takes 3 points
Wayne State vs. WMU
Prediction: WMU Wins
Ferris State vs. MSU
Prediction: MSU Wins
CCHA Notebook: 11/2
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
Michigan making Georgia CB a top 'Priority'College Park (Ga.) Hapeville Charter 2018 CB Christopher Smith is building a bond with Jim Harbaugh and Michigan.
The Michigan Insider5:19 PM
Texas DB Compares Himself to PeppersHouston (Tex.) Lamar defensive back D’Shawn Jamison isn’t one of the biggest defensive backs in the 2018 class, but that hasn’t stopped him from being regarded as one of the best.…
The Michigan Insider4:07 PM
U-M visit draws high marks from DoyleThe Wolverines recently hosted one of top signal callers in the East with Washington (D.C.) St. Johns 2018 quarterback Kevin Doyle and he reflects back to his time spent in Ann…
The Michigan Insider8:58 AM
Barnes lands long awaited offer from MichiganMichigan recently extended an offer out to one of the best linemen in the country in Apopka (Fla.) 2018 offensive tackle William Barnes. The Scout 100 offensive tackle talks about…
The Michigan Insider5:16 AM