From Coach Carr:
1. The signing class is actually 21 guys because Marques Slocum is part of the class but he will not be in spring ball.
2. Ryan Mundy and Will Paul are graduating so they are not coming back to play another season. Anton Campbell and Brandon Englemon are coming back.
3. Steve Shilling's shoulder surgery went fine and he will be available for spring practice. Mike Massey might miss spring ball because of his shoulder. Antonio Bass trying to go through winter workouts, but his status remains unchanged.
4. Ryan Mallett: the plan is to play him in the fall 2007 season...Carr told Ryan during his recruitment that it never got below 40 degrees in Ann Arbor, Hahaha.
5. Expect the Big Ten schedule to change so that the last game will be after Thanksgiving, whether it is a Big Ten game or not.
6. Quintin Woods is still not in school but Michigan is still working on it.
Carr's comments on possible early playing time for some of the freshmen:
7. Michael Williams - "He will compete for early playing time here."
8. Zion Babb - "His dad was an outstanding track guy at USC, he runs extremely well, he's a big strong guy, he can play on either side of the ball."
JR Hemingway - "He played basketball, I'm extremely impressed with him as an athlete, he's a great competitor."
Toney Clemons - "He has great speed, is gonna make a difference at Michigan, he runs extremely well, has excellent size and hands."
"All three kids have a chance to contribute as freshmen."
9. Austin Panter: "He will make significant a contribution in the fall."
10. Mallett: "We'll try to PLAY him some .. maybe not be a lot, you can't predict that. The advantage of playing SOME ... the great thing about not redshirting, every single week he'll prepare like he's going to play. His dream is to start here for three years ... "
11. Vince Helmuth - he's a wonderful athlete, our fullback with zone blocking has to be bifty, nimble ... based on what I seen, he has a chance to contribute as a freshman. Once we put the pads on, well see how he holds up. Obi Oluibo -- it took him 2-3 years to be ready to take that pounding. **Vince Helmuth - he's a wonderful athlete, our fullback with zone blocking has to be bifty, nimble ... based on what I seen, he has a chance to contribute as a freshman. Once we put the pads on, well see how he holds up. Obi Oluibo -- it took him 2-3 years to be ready to take that pounding.
A couple other issues:
12. The big thing about the Big Ten finishing the season earlier than other conferences. From a competitive standpoint, it is a competitive disadvantage ... skip Thanksgiving, play one more game the next week ... that's my suggestion ...if they don't do something in the B10, each school would be free to make changes to their nonconference schedule.
13. Has Michigan hired a coach to replace Lee - nope.
*Carr Presser Notes Update*
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
Mayfield talks U-M offer; Commitment StatusGrand Rapids (Mich.) Catholic Central 2018 offensive tackle and Minnesota commit, Jalen Mayfield discusses his visit Michigan visit, where things stand in the aftermath of…
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 1:53 PM
TMIBlog: Now that UM has offered German GreenNewkirk Blog: Now that Michigan has offered German Green, what does this mean for Michigan's 2018 recruiting class?
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 11:35 AM
Drevno: DPJ is a 'special person and player'Michigan's OC Tim Drevno knows that he has "special" player in freshman wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 10:52 AM
Drevno pleased with winter conditioningMichigan's OC Tim Drevno praises the "conditioning" of his players, talks offensive line competition.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 10:42 AM
Cole on OL: Trying to find best fiveMichigan offensive lineman Mason Cole doesn't have a preference on where he plays this season, the team is busy trying to find its best five offensive lineman.
The Michigan InsiderFriday at 8:16 PM