The past few weeks have been very hectic for Detroit Southeastern wide receiver Fred Smith. The 6-2 205-pounder recently had to start balancing the demands of summer football with his desire to gain some chemistry with the basketball team and its new coach, former Detroit Renaissance headman Mark White.
"I took a week off (from football) playing basketball," Smith said. "It's a whole new team and a whole new coach. I wanted to try to get used to playing with them."
While basketball still holds a place in his heart, Smith is under no illusions about where his bread is buttered.
"I'm probably not going to play anymore hoop right now." he said. "We're six weeks from our first (football) game against Catholic Central. Now it's time to get serious."
Smith got serious about making an early college decision weeks ago…and with the season drawing closer by the day his eagerness to get it out of the way is growing. The Michigan State Spartans made a strong pitch at the talented athlete late last month, aided in large part by the assistance of Tom Izzo.
"He told me that if I decided to come there it wouldn't be nothing for me to, after football, season come out for the basketball team," recalled Smith. He said that I would have a jersey in the locker."
When asked whether he was indeed interested in playing both sports, Smith was non-committal.
"I'm looking into it," he said. "I hadn't really thought about it until (Izzo) talked about it."
With the trip to East Lansing now behind him, Smith indicated that there still one last thing for he and his family to do before he makes his choice.
"We're getting on the same page," Smith said regarding he and his family. "I'm going to call Coach Campbell (Michigan wide receivers coach) probably tomorrow. We'll probably all come up next Saturday…the whole family… for just one last visit to Michigan.
"All that's left is my family as a whole seeing both campuses and meeting coaches and stuff.," Smith continued. "They've already been to Michigan State. Now it's time to go to Michigan. I'll have a decision after that… probably later in this month."