Embarrassed in Ann Arbor

What's going on in Ann Arbor? After jumping out to a quick 7-3 lead in the first quarter, the Oregon Ducks handled the Wolverines with over 600 yards of total offense and 36 straight points to send the Wolverines to their second straight loss to open the 2007 season.

ANN ARBOR -- It isn't often that the Michigan football program is embarrassed. Saturday afternoon at Michigan Stadium, Dennis Dixon and the Oregon Ducks embarrassed the Maize and Blue.

Behind a 16-of-25 performance from Dixon, including three touchdown tosses, the Ducks racked up 624 yards of offense and put 39 points on the board on the way to a shocking 32 point Michigan loss, the fourth straight for the Michigan football program.

"I don't think we could have a more difficult opening than we've had," Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said after the game. "We had tremendous expectations, yet we're 0-2.

"We turned the ball over again and couldn't sustain some things and missed a field goal there that hit the uprights. We gave them 21 points on big plays. The foundation of your defense has to be you can't give up big plays, and offensively you have to find a way to win the turnover battle, and we did neither of those things today. We just didn't get it done offensively or defensively."

Oregon's first big play came with 4:40 left on the clock in the first quarter. After falling behind the Wolverines 7-3, Dixon found wide receiver Brian Paysinger down the left sideline for an 85-yard touchdown. From that point on, it was all Oregon.

"We didn't tackle well, and some of that I attribute to outstanding running back play. Certainly, if you're a defensive team that gives up big plays and doesn't tackle well -- and we're not tackling well, we're not excusing that -- we were unable to make some of the tackles when we were in position. They bled us for six or seven or 12 yards instead of three or four, which sustained their drives."

After the touchdown, the Ducks added a two-point conversion to make it 11-7.

Oregon made it 18-7 with a run-first drive that gobbled up 71 yards of offense in just 11 plays. Running back Jonathan Stewart capped off the drive with a two-yard touchdown run.

Michigan was ineffective on their next possession, and Oregon again found the end zone on their next chance with the football. Dixon scored on a nine-yard run after a fake statue of liberty play caught the Michigan defense napping.

Oregon then added a 61-yard touchdown pass in the final moments of the half.

Oregon's final touchdown came with 2:39 left on the clock in the third quarter. Jaison Williams hauled in a 46-yard pass down the left sideline to end the scoring.

Chad Henne completed just 12 of 23 passes with one touchdown and one interception before leaving the game with a leg injury.

Mike Hart rushed for 127 yards on 25 carries.

Michigan now tries to get on track when they meet 0-2 Notre Dame next Saturday in Ann Arbor.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories