Wolverines Survive Scare

After trailing 16-7 at the half, the Michigan football team rallied with 21 unanswered points the final 30 minutes of play as the Wolverines move to 2-0 in Big 10 conference play with a 28-16 road win over the Northwestern Wildcats in Evanston, Ill. Chad Henne and Mike Hart paced the Michigan offense, Henne with three touchdown tosses and Hart with one on the ground.

EVANSTON, Ill. -- Chad Henne made his return to the field by leading the Wolverines (3-2, 2-0)on a game-opening 11-play 65-yard drive and then came off the bench in the final 30 minutes to lead the Wolverines past the Northwestern Wildcats (2-3, 0-2)28-16 on Saturday afternoon at Ryan Field in Evanston, Ill.

Henne, who finished 18-of-27, threw for 193 yards and three Michigan scores in his first action since injuring his right knee late in the first half of the Wolverines second contest of the season earlier this September.

Mike Hart rushed the ball 30 times for 106 yards and the Wolverines final touchdown to move within 100 yards of the Michigan career rushing record. Chad Henne's three touchdown tosses brought his career touchdown total up to 75, three above former quarterback John Navarre's Michigan record.

Northwestern went on top 3-0 on its first possession of the game. After a 64-yard completion on their first play from scrimmage, the Michigan defense stiffened to force the Wildcats to settle for an Amado Villarreal field goal just minutes in.

On the Wolverines ensuing drive, Henne, who sat out the remainder of the first half, connected with Mario Manningham on an 11-yard touchdown pass on a quick strike that Manningham took down the sideline and into the Northwestern end zone.

Omar Conteh put the Wildcats back on top with a 49-yard touchdown scamper on a draw up the middle moments later near the end of the quarter before the Wildcats added two more field goals to go to the locker room with a 16-7 lead over the visiting Wolverines.

Ryan Mallett finished 5-of-11 with 67 yards over the remainder of the first half.

Chad Henne connected with tight end Carson Butler over the middle for a 5-yard touchdown pass to bring the Wolverines within two with 5:45 left in the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, the Wolverines defense forced four turnovers in as many possessions to help complete the Michigan comeback. In a critical third and long situation, sophomore defensive end Brandon Graham bull-rushed his way up the middle to force his third fumble in as many weeks to give the Maize and Blue the ball on the Northwestern 16-yard line. Shawn Crable recovered the fumble.

On 3rd-and-10 minutes later, Chad Henne found Adrian Arrington for what became the game winning touchdown on a post pattern from 16-yards out.

Brandon Harrison forced the next turnover on the Wildcats next drive. Coming on a corner blitz, Harrison connected with Northwestern quarterback C.J. Bacher as the ball was released and defensive end Tim Jamison plucked it out of the air for his first career interception.

Obi Ezeh had his first career interception on the Wildcats next possession. Mike Hart punched the ball in following the interception and the Wolverines held on for a 28-16 win.

Michigan returns to Michigan Stadium next weekend for a 12:00 p.m. kickoff against the Eastern Michigan Eagles. Coverage is scheduled for the Big 10 Network.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories