Henne Sparks Fourth Quarter Comeback

After falling behind 24-14 with seven minutes left on the clock, the No. 15-ranked Michigan football team rallied behind a pair of fourth quarter touchdown passes from a battered and bruised Chad Henne in a 28-24 Michigan win on Saturday night at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Mich.

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Trailing 24-21 with just under three minutes left on the clock, a battered and bruised Chad Henne found wide receiver Mario Manningham in the right side of the end zone to catapult Michigan on top of rival Michigan State 28-24 on Saturday night at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Mich.

Henne, who finished 18-of-33 with four scores, also connected with Greg Mathews with just less than seven minutes left to pull the Wolverines within striking distance after falling behind 24-14.

Michigan seemed in control over the first thirty minutes. After the Spartans took the opening kick-off 56-yards on 10 plays and put three points on the board, Henne engineered a five play scoring drive behind the legs of Mike Hart and an 11-yard score to Manningham.

With the ball on the Spartans 11-yard line, Henne tossed the ball to right side of the end zone where Manningham beat the Spartans cornerback for the ball to make it 7-3.

On their next possession, MSU quarterback Brian Hoyer committed his only mistake of the contest. Trying to go deep over the middle, Hoyer's ball intended for Kellen Freeman-Davis ended up in the waiting hands of Michigan safety Jamar Adams. Adams carried the ball back to the Spartans 42.

On the first play from scrimmage, Hart, who finished with 110 yards rushing on 15 carries, shredded a group of Michigan State tackles to escape down the left sideline for a 32 yard run. Two plays later, Henne found tight end Carson Butler in the end zone from five yards out to make it 14-3 in the second quarter.

Michigan had an opportunity to extend the lead late in the quarter, but after taking over near the fifty, Henne was intercepted on the Wolverines fourth down pass attempt.

The third quarter was all Michigan State. After taking over on their own 25-yard line following a Michigan punt, the Spartans marched 75 yards and trimmed the lead to 14-10 with a 1-yard Caulcrick run.

Caulcrick added a second touchdown run midway through the fourth quarter to set the stage for the Wolverines comeback.

After sitting through most of the second half, running back Mike Hart returned from the line up for the Wolverines late comeback. After quarterback Ryan Mallett fumbled on a Michigan State sack, Hart picked up the loose ball and rushed for a critical Michigan first down.

On the Wolverines final two scoring drives, quarterback Chad Henne was 10-for-13 with a pair of Michigan scores.

Michigan State turned the ball over on downs in their final opportunity of the contest.

Michigan State out rushed the Wolverines 191-100 in the game. It's just the third time in the past 38 meetings that the team who hasn't won the rushing game has lost the game.

Michigan next returns to the field for their final tune up before Ohio State against the Wisconsin Badgers next weekend in Madison, Wis.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories