Third Straight Sweep: U-M wins 3-2

No. 3 Michigan extended its win streak to six games with a 3-2 win over the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks on Saturday night at the Qwest Center in Omaha, Neb. Michigan goalie Billy Sauer received first star honors after turning aside 28 Mavericks shots. Carl Hagelin scored the game-winner for the Wolverines.

OMAHA, Neb. -- It wasn't pretty, but they got the job done.

Goalie Billy Sauer turned aside 28 Nebraska-Omaha shots and freshman forward Carl Hagelin swatted the game-winner out of the air and past Mavericks goalie Jerad Kaufmann with just under three minutes left in the third period as the No. 3-ranked Wolverines improved to 7-1-0 on the season, including a 4-0-0 mark in conference play, behind a 3-2 win over the Mavericks at the Qwest Center on Saturday night.

"You knew it would be a close game. I thought we got off to a good start tonight -- a better first period. We had the lead. You knew that something could happen in the second period. UNO bounced back and dominated the second period. Billy Sauer was a factor," Michigan coach Red Berenson said.

After Michigan finished the first period up 2-0, it was Sauer that kept the Wolverines in the game as the home Mavericks battled back to a 2-2 score.

Mick Lawrence made it 2-1 with a power-play goal on a breakaway pass across the Michigan blue line just 1:25 into the middle period. Near the middle of the period they tied it with Blake Martin's rebound goal as the Wolverines struggled to clear their defensive zone of the puck.

"You have to give them credit," Berenson continued. "They're a good team that plays with a lot of pride. They're at home. You look at their record so far and the second period has been far and away their best period. We knew that would happen. We tried to stop it and we couldn't."

Moments later, the Mavericks would have their best look at the lead until Billy Sauer gloved a Nebraska-Omaha breakaway to keep the score knotted 2-2 in what could have been the play of the game for the Maize and Blue.

"I knew that I was having a pretty good game and I wanted to keep it going. That's really the biggest opportunity -- when they get a chance like that right after a goal -- to shut them down," Sauer said. "I know that's huge for the team. We already had been scored on twice in a row and to make it three and have them take the lead is not good."

Michigan escaped the second period with a 2-2 tie, despite being out shot 14-3.

Both teams exchanged scoring chances to open the third. Sauer denied Nebraska-Omaha on a two-on-one rush to open the frame, and both Michigan seniors, Chad Kolarik and Kevin Porter, each hit a post while trying to put the Wolverines back on top.

Finally, with just under three minutes left on the clock, Hagelin put the Wolverines on top for good.

"We had a tie game going into the third. It was anyone's game. They had the best chances and we scored the goal. Billy made a huge save on the two-on-one type breakaway and he gave us a chance. I thought our team battled hard. You're not always going to be on your 'A' game, but we found a way to win the game."

With the puck deep in the Mavericks corner, Michigan's Travis Turnbull threw the put at the UNO net. After bouncing off the pads of Kaufmann, Hagelin swatted the puck into the net.

Michigan's first two goals came from Kevin Porter and Louie Caporusso.

Michigan returns to Yost Ice Arena next weekend for a pair of games against the Alaska Nanooks. Face-off is scheduled for 7:35 p.m.

"It was a good weekend, overall. In both games we didn't play our best, but we came out with two victories and that is the important thing," Porter said.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories