Butler Bulldogs Bury Wolverines 79-65

The Wolverines fell to 2-2 on the new season with a 79-65 loss to the Butler Bulldogs on Wednesday night at the Great Alaskan Shootout in Anchorage, Alaska. Michigan trimmed the Butler lead to just three points near the middle of the half, but the Bulldogs drained six straight triples to pull away from the youthful Wolverines.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- The Michigan Wolverines fell to 2-2 on the season with a 14-point 79-65 loss to the 4-0 Butler Bulldogs on Wednesday night at the Great Alaskan Shootout in Anchorage, Alaska. Michigan finished with three scorers in double digits, but 17 triples by the Bulldogs were too much for Michigan to overcome in the record-evening loss for the Maize and Blue.

After battling to an 8-10 score at the first media timeout, Butler jumped out to their first lead of the game over a seven minute stretch that saw just three points from the Wolverines, a long-ball by freshman Manny Harris.

Ron Coleman drained a Michigan triple to end the run, but with just over eight minutes left in the half, the Bulldogs had bolted out to a 17 point lead.

Michigan continued to chip at the lead over the final minutes of the half. C.J. Lee added his first triple of the game to make it 28-17. Ekpe Udoh followed that up with a jumper to bring the score back to single digits in differential.

After 20 full minutes, the Wolverines trailed by a score of 40-32. Both teams shot well in the first half at either .500 from behind the three-point line or better. Butler hit eight triples in the half.

In the second half, the Wolverines continued to cut into the lead. Behind a DeShawn Sims triple and four points from Manny Harris, the Wolverines drew within one point at 40-39 just one minute into the second half.

Butler, however, answered.

From 16:19 to the 7:34 mark, the Bulldogs rattled off eight straight three-point baskets to sink the Maize and Blue. A.J. Graves hit three from downtown for the Bulldogs while Mike Green added a pair of his own.

In all, the Bulldogs finished with 17 triples. Pete Campbell led the Bulldogs shooters going 6-for-11 from three-point range in just 21 minutes of time.

Michigan battled back over the final seven minutes to pull within 14 points. DeShawn Sims led Wolverines scorers with 14 points. Manny Harris and Ron Coleman each finished with 12.

Michigan next returns to the floor in Anchorage Friday to take on the loser of the Virginia Tech/Eastern Washington game. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m EST.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories