Hoops Runs Record to 3-2 With 61-53 Win

The Wolverines improved to 3-2 on the season with an eight point win over Eastern Washington on Friday night at the Great Alaskan Shootout in Anchorage, Alaska. Manny Harris led all Michigan scorers with 19 points, a career high 12 coming from behind the three-point line. He also dished out five assists.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- John Beilein and his Michigan Wolverines improved to 3-2 on the season with an eight-point 61-53 win over Eastern Washington in the second road of the Great Alaskan Shootout on Friday afternoon in Anchorage, Alaska.

Michigan's Manny Harris led all scorers with 19 points. 4-of-6 from downtown, Harris established a new career high in three-point field goals while propelling Michigan past Eastern Washington and back into the win column.

"Eastern Washington gave us everything we could handle. In the second half particular," said Michigan coach John Beilein. "They guarded us pretty well. I thought we got some good looks, but we just could get anything to fall.

Michigan fell behind 5-0 to start the game, but the Wolverines being on the short end of the board didn't last. Two of Harris' triples helped put the Wolverines on top at 12-7. While the Eagles would get within one in the final moments, they'd never lead beyond the opening minutes of the game.

With five minutes left in the half the Michigan lead grew to 13 points by the half. Michigan shot .666 from behind the arc in the first half.

Jerret Smith, Kelvin Grady and Ron Coleman each also connected on long balls before the end of the first 20 minutes.

Eastern Washington mounted a rally over the final 20 minutes. With just under 1:30 left, the Eagles trimmed the lead to just one point. In the end, the Wolverines would hold off the charge, however, as a group of Wolverines clinched the win at the free throw line.

"I have a saying, 'I hate being up 17 at half.' Today was only 13, but when you get up in double digits at the half there is this natural letdown that the team wants the other team to go away. I didn't think we played that way, but that is what you are always guarding against at halftime... that there isn't a letdown. I thought we came out great, but they hit several three's in a row and we missed several in a row. All of a sudden, with the three ball and it changes everything around. A 13-point lead, with two three-balls."

Michigan shot just 2-for-13 from the three-point arc in the second half.

Ron Coleman finished with 14 points. Ekpe Udoh finished with nine points. Sophomore DeShawn Sims was held scoreless.

Michigan concludes the Great Alaskan Shootout with a 6:00 p.m. contest against Western Kentucky on Saturday night.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories