Blue Devils Whip Wolverines 95-67

The Michigan basketball team was on the road to face No. 6 Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Saturday afternoon in Durham, N.C. Michigan got 12 points from DeShawn Sims, but he was the lone Wolverine to hit double digits as the Maize and Blue dropped another one, this one by 28, to the Duke.

DURHAM, N.C. -- With a young team and very little depth to speak of, the Wolverines needed a near perfect game to upset No. 6 Duke on Saturday afternoon at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C.

They didn't get one.

After battling to a 10-10 tie over the first 5:31 of the contest, Michigan's cold shooting did in the Maize and Blue as the the home Blue Devils rattled off a 22-4 run that buried the Wolverines in an insurmountable lead after the first 20 minutes of play.

Michigan missed 11 straight attempts from the floor after Manny Harris' two free throws gave the Wolverines their only lead of the game at 10-8.

DeShawn Sims opened the scoring for the Wolverines. Sims connected on his first shot of the game, a ball from behind the three-point line, and then followed it with another jumper to put the Wolverines up 5-2 just over three minutes into the game.

Duke answered with a triple from Greg Paulus to tie the score 5-5. The teams would exchange triples one more time, Michigan's coming from senior Ron Coleman, to set the stage for the Wolverines last lead of the game.

After the Blue Devils took a 17-10 lead, Sims snapped a five minute scoring drought for the Wolverines.

Kelvin Grady would draw the Wolverines within four with his first jumper of the game, but that was as close as Michigan would get as Duke went on a 14-0 run to take away opportunity for a Michigan upset.

Ekpe Udoh, DeShawn Sims and Kelvin Grady would end the drought with Michigan's final seven points of the half. Michigan trailed 41-23 after the first 20 minutes.

Michigan's bench was outscored 27-0 in the first half.

Michigan battled to start the second half.

Udoh, Grady and Sims continued to be the Wolverines putting the ball in the basket as the teams battled to a 48-30 game just over three minutes into the half.

Nearly five minutes into the half the Wolverines got their first points off the bench from C.J. Lee to make it 54-36.

With just over seven minutes left the Blue Devils lead ballooned to 31 points with a pair of free throws from Kyle Singler, and the teams exchanged baskets for the remainder of the game.

Michigan returns to home to Crisler Arena for a Wednesday night game against Central Michigan.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories