#1 Wolverines Battle Back to Beat Irish 3-2

The No. 1-ranked Michigan hockey team fell behind No. 8 Notre Dame 2-0 in the first five minutes of the contest. From then on it was all Michigan. Over the final 40 minutes of play, top-ranked Michigan fought back for a dramatic 3-2 come from behind win at the expense of the visiting Irish.

ANN ARBOR -- Terrelle Pryor wasn't in town, but the rest of the U-M football recruits caught one great game. After falling behind No. 8-ranked Notre Dame 2-0 in the first six minutes of the game, top-ranked Michigan battled back with a pair of goals in the second period before sending the Irish packing with the game-winning goal with 20.3 seconds left on the clock in the final period of play.

Freshman center Louie Caporusso netted the game-winning goal from just off the right post. Junior's Brandon Naurato and Travis Turnbull were credited with assists on the final goal of the contest, a goal that improves Michigan to 21-2-0 on the year and 14-1-0 in conference play.

"We knew it would be a difficult game coming off the kind of hockey we played last weekend," Michigan coach Red Berenson said. "It took us half of the game before we started to play our game. In the meantime, Notre Dame had us on our heels. Scoring those early goals, you would think that would have taken the crowd out of the game, but our crowd was terrific."

Capping the comeback, Caporusso's goal came after a strong shift controlling the puck in the Notre Dame end of the ice.

"Basically, I won the draw back and (Brandon) Naurato took a shot. Then (Travis) Turnbull made two nice recoveries. I could have had a goal right before that, but I missed it and Turnbull recovered it again and placed it through his legs to Naurato, who took a shot. Then the puck just bounced out and I put it in," Caporusso said.

Notre Dame jumped on top 2-0 5:53 into the first period.

Just 3:33 in Irish skater Kevin Deeth threw a centering pass at the Michigan net, and Wolverines defenseman Mark Mitera's attempt to break up the scoring chance resulted in an own goal that temporarily silenced the capacity crowd at Yost.

1:20 later it was 2-0. Justin White took the a puck from Ryan Guentzel and carried it in alone on Michigan goalie Billy Sauer. Skating to the right post, White used the backhand to slip the puck through Sauer's legs to give Notre Dame a quick 2-0 lead.

Michigan captain Kevin Porter cut the lead in half just 21 seconds into the second period. Skating with a 4-on-3 power-play, Porter took a feed from Chad Langlais to start the Wolverines comeback.

"We did not play our best period (in the first), but we knew that if we came out and got an early goal and got back in the game that we would be just fine," Porter said. "(Notre Dame) out-hit us, out-skated and out-worked us in the first. We knew if we started to play our game we were going to be just fine."

Matt Rust made it 2-2 just over 12 minutes later. Carrying the puck in along the left side, Rust elected to fire a shot at the net rather then feed the 2-on-2 rush.

Notre Dame goalie Jordan Pearce lost sight of the puck momentarily, and by the time he spotted it, it was too late for the goalie's blocker to get up and keep the puck out the net.

Notre Dame would get one more major opportunity when Michigan defenseman Chris Summers was whistled for a five-minute checking from behind penalty. The Michigan penalty kill successfully killed the penalty without allowing a single shot on goal with the man advantage.

"There's the game right there. If you want to come down to one stretch, that was it -- when you get a five-minute penalty and have to kill it," Berenson said. "Those are parts of the game that may not show up in the stats, but they are important."

A handful of Michigan recruits were on hand for the dramatic come from behind win. The second game of the two-game set is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. tomorrow night at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories