Icer's Skate to Third Straight Tie

No. 2 Michigan skated to a 3-3 tie for the second straight night as the Wildcats rallied from a 3-1 deficit to sink the Wolverines hopes of tying Miami a top the CCHA standings heading into next weekends match up. Carl Hagelin, Louie Caporusso and Chad Kolarik scored goals for the Wolverines.

ANN ARBOR -- For the first time in program history, the Wolverines have tied three games straight. Despite holding leads of 1-0 and 3-1, the No. 2-ranked Michigan hockey team finished with a 3-3 tie against the visiting Northern Michigan Wildcats for the second night in a row. Michigan got goals from Carl Hagelin, Louie Caporusso and Chad Kolarik.

"I like our team better (than last night). I liked our start better. I thought we were more focused. I thought we were fore checking better. We were carrying the play," said Michigan coach Red Berenson, his team now 22-3-3 on the season.

"The penalties disrupted the flow of the game. But I liked the team's effort, we got our chances, (Northern Michigan) is a good team -- they don't give you much. One loose puck that could have gone in didn't. We got a bad break on their first goal, (the puck) took a bad bounce on (Bryan) Hogan. On their second goal, our defense pinched in and got caught and they came down on a breakaway. Their third goal was four on four and we didn't play well."

Unlike last night, it was the Wolverines that struck first in the weekends' second game. Just 3:51 into the contest, Carl Hagelin made it 1-0 Michigan with his seventh goal of the season. Hagelin took a pass from Aaron Palushaj streaking across the Wildcats blue line. Alone with goalie Brian Stewart, Hagelin snapped the puck off the iron and into the right side of the Northern Michigan net.

Seven minutes later the Wildcats tied it 1-1. Skating in net for the first time since early December, Bryan Hogan caught an unfortunate bounce as Wildcat skater Ray Kaunisto flipped the puck deep into the Michigan zone. Waiting to brush the puck off to the corner, Hogan was caught off guard as the puck took a bizarre bounce off the ice and sprung up and over Hogan's shoulder at 8:36.

"That early goal was a tough goal to give up. Both of these games were tough games for our goalies to play because they didn't see a lot of shots, and then when they did it was important, obviously," Berenson said.

With 1:22 left on the clock in the period, Louie Caporusso made it 2-1 Michigan. Skating with a man advantage, Caporusso took a feed from Mark Mitera in the right circle and quickly snapped the puck past Stewart into the near side of the net.

Just over halfway through the second period Chad Kolarik made it 3-1. Taking a pass from Max Pacioretty in the left corner, Kolarik cycled in front of the net and fired the puck at the net. Stewart dropped the shot, but Kolarik scooped up his own rebound and slipped it under the goalie for the Wolverines final goal.

"We played hard tonight. We played pretty well," Kolarik said later. "We out-shot them again. The second period killed us with all those penalties. I think we were shorthanded for 10 or 12 minutes."

37 seconds after Kolarik's goal the Wildcats made it 3-2. Matt Butcher's unassisted goal on a breakaway beat Hogan high at 10:55.

Nick Sirota scored the game-tying goal with 12:59 left in the third period. Sirota snapped the puck past Hogan into the near side of the net from the left circle while the teams skated with four on the ice per side.

Michigan out shot the Wildcats 37-21 through the game, but the score remained 3-3 after the five minute overtime period.

Michigan next returns to the ice to take on No. 1 Miami in the biggest weekend of the Wolverines season. Both games against Miami will be televised. Friday night face-off is scheduled for 8:05 on CSTV.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories