Hoopsters Win Second Straight

Michigan picked up its second straight Big 10 basketball win on Thursday night with a 60-52 win against the Iowa Hawkeyes at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City. Manny Harris led all Michigan scorers with 15 points after being shutout in the first half of the Wolverines win. Michigan is now 3-9 in conference play and 7-17 on the season.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Michigan basketball team battled back from an 11-point deficit through 20 minutes of play to pick up a second straight win for just the second time of the season with a 60-52 win over the Iowa Hawkeyes on Thursday night at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City.

Manny Harris, the Wolverines leading scorer on the season, finished with a game-high 15 points after being held scoreless in the first 20 minutes of action.

Through the first 20 minutes of action, it was all Hawkeyes as the Maize and Blue struggled to get acclimated to life on the road. After jumping out to a 1-0 lead seconds into the contest, the Wolverines fell behind in a game they wouldn't lead again until late in the second half.

Long scoring droughts and bouts with turnovers plagued Michigan as the home Hawkeyes capitalized on the Michigan mistakes to built a 16-point lead early in the contest. Not until a late run pulled Michigan coach John Beilein and his club within 11 points with under five minutes left in the half did things appear to be heading in Michigan's direction.

Harris scored his first points of the game at the start of the second half. After his first bucket was matched by the Hawkeyes, he connected from downtown for the first time of the game to make the score 28-21.

Kelvin Grady and Ron Coleman then combined to bring Michigan within two points at 31-29.

A short second half drought allowed the Hawkeyes to rebound a nine-point lead at 38-29, but from that point on, it was all Michigan.

DeShawn Sims, who finished with 10 points, snapped the scoreless streak with a triple to make it 38-32. David Merritt converted a back door cut into an easy layup, and a pair of Harris free throws brought the lead back within two points.

After an 11-2 run, the Wolverines retook the lead at 47-40, their first lead since the 1-0 advantage 15 seconds in.

The teams exchanged buckets over the final minutes of the contest, and while the Hawkeyes would get within four points, that was as close as they could come as Michigan salted the game away at the free throw line.

With the win, the Wolverines improve to 3-9 in conference play and 7-17 on the season. Michigan next returns to the floor to host the Ohio State Buckeyes on Sunday at 1:00. CBS will televise the contest as the Wolverines look to win their third straight game.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories