Ouimet's Top 25
(Week 15, going into Nov. 28-30)
1. Miami (Fl.) – Will RB Willis McGahee turn pro after leading the Hurricanes to another Championship? We will find out has they keep rolling through the season. The next date is with Syracuse, with this one not being a blowout either at the Dome in Syracuse.
2. Ohio State – Will play for its first National Championship since 1968 in the Fiesta bowl with a share in the Big Ten Championship with Iowa. Without true freshmen RB Maurice Clarett this team would not have been in the National Championship game.
3. Oklahoma – A huge win against Texas Tech, and the defense stepped up to the challenge of QB Kliff Kingsbury in that game limited him to a season low 187 yards passing. One regular season game at Oklahoma State and they should be able to get this one if they can keep WR Rashaun Woods in check. The Big 12 Championship date against Colorado comes next week.
4. Iowa – Three seasons removed from 1-10 the Hawkeyes had a special season, and probably have one of the best coaches in the country. Let this team enjoy their title for a couple weeks before they find out what BCS game they will attend. Kirk Ferentz gets my National Coach of the year vote, and I will also say that Norm Parker did an excellent job as the Defensive Coordinator this year.
5. Georgia – In the Championship game already; in a couple of weeks they have an important game versus Georgia Tech coming up. This is a must win to stay in the BCS hunt, and will have to get over many team injuries to keep their chances in the BCS over the next two weeks.
6. Kansas State – One of the best Big Twelve Teams, and especially with eight 100+yard games from RB Darren Sproles. The Wildcats have reached 10 win seasons for the seventh time in school history and have reached that in five of the last six years.
7. USC – A huge win over UCLA. Even with QB Carson Palmer leading this team they will have a tough task with Notre Dame coming to town -- USC has lost three straight to the Irish and haven't beaten both UCLA and Notre Dame in the same season since 1981.
8. Texas – QB Chris Simms will leave Texas without winning a Big Twelve Title or a National Championship in his career with the Longhorns. Coach Brown and Simms just could never win the big games, but an important date is coming up with Texas A&M for pride in their state.
9. Notre Dame – The offense finally put together a game to show that their defense isn't the only thing in South Bend. With a road date to Los Angeles coming can the same offense show up two weeks in a row? We are going to find out how good the Irish really are this year.
10. Washington State – After their three-overtime loss to Washington and with Gesser probably out for the year they must go on the road in two weeks against UCLA. Will the Cougars be able to win the PAC Ten without Gesser is the biggest question we have this week. It will also answer the question whether this team was over-ranked all year.
11. Penn State – With RB Larry Johnson becoming the first Penn State player in their history to reach 2,000 yards he might just get my Heisman vote. A huge win over MSU 61-7. Penn State doesn't want their season to end and would rather play their bowl game this week, but they will have to wait and see who they get matched up with.
12. Alabama – A tough loss against Auburn and the gossip that Franchione is headed to A&M has dropped them in the polls again. Can the Tide get things rolling again on the road against Hawaii? They must stay focused since this is their bowl game for the year.
13. Florida – A gag order by Head Coach Ron Zook to keep his players off limits this week to the media was a great idea, I would like to see it more often by major schools Head Coaches. A huge date with Florida State on the road will let us know how good the Gators really are this year and if QB Rex Grossman is ready for the NFL.
14. Colorado State – With a Liberty bowl berth already at hand can the Rams get past UNLV at home this week in a game that may be over shadowed with the bowl bid? With the Championship already and it's third straight 10 win season, QB Van Pelt has to keep the team focused for the Running Rebels.
15. Michigan – A tough loss to rival Ohio State on the road; look for the Wolverines to be headed to the Outback bowl on January 1. They will probably be matched up against Florida, Tennessee, or LSU.
16. Colorado – An important game against Nebraska on the road before the Big Twelve Championship up next. They had a huge win over Iowa State, but RB Chris Brown is going to be a game time decision on if he'll play in this game.
17. LSU – QB Marcus Randall didn't get the start in this game, but came into the game to lead the Tigers to victory over Mississippi. A huge date with Arkansas on the road this week will decide the Title in the West division.
18. Pittsburgh – With a tough fought game with a lot of injuries for the Panthers against the Hurricanes, I couldn't drop them in my polls this week. so they will stay at 18. An important date next with West Virginia who just made my Top 25 for the first time.
19. Virginia Tech – With three straight losses to Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and West Virginia they have dropped to this spot, and have to win the next two games to maintain in the Top 25 with dates against Virginia and Miami.
20. Boise State – Another Blow out win over Nevada and RB Brock Forsey 187 yards with four touchdowns get them into the top 20 this week and will only keep rising in the next two weeks.
21. North Carolina State – A school record of ten wins and a huge win against Florida State brings a date in the Gator Bowl for Wolf pack.
22. Florida State – QB Adrian McPherson out and QB Chris Rix back is the new situation down at Florida State. A tough loss versus North Carolina State and a new date this weekend with Florida brings a must win to stay in the Top 25.
23. Auburn – Stifling the number one offense in the SEC gets them a huge win over Alabama and back into the Top 25 this week. Only a bowl date remaining, which will be determined in the next couple of weeks.
24. West Virginia – A huge win against Virginia Tech and a big year from RB Avon Cobourne; can they repeat the feat with a road game against Pittsburgh?
25. Maryland – With an upsetting loss to Virginia and no chance of winning the ACC Title they need to beat Wake Forest to remain in my Top 25.
Arkansas – A meeting set with the NCAA regarding overpayments by a booster on January 18 might bring probation, so a must win is next against LSU to get them into the Top 25 and the last possibility of playing for the SEC Title for sometime.
Virginia – With back to back wins versus North Carolina State and Maryland at home the Cavaliers are back on track. If they can muster another victory over Virginia Tech they will get into the Top 25.
Hawaii – Brawl mars the win against Cincinnati, but a must win against Alabama this weekend to get into my Top 25.
Georgia Tech – If they beat Georgia on the road they will get into my Top 25.
UCLA – A huge loss to USC, but with a comeback win against Washington State in two weeks they might sneak back into the Top 25.
Marshall – With the next game versus Ball State and a win in the MAC Championship they may sneak into the Top 25. They will need QB Byron Leftwich to accomplish this feat down the stretch run.
South Florida – Riding QB Blackwell all year, don't count this team out of the Top 25. With being an independent they don't have an automatic qualifier, but if they can get a bowl invitation and a win would put them in the Top 25.
TCU – A loss on the road at East Carolina dropped them out of the Top 25, but a must win this weekend versus Memphis.
Boston College – A home win against Rutgers and a bowl win could sneak them into the Top 25 at the end of the year. This team needs a great recruiting year with some key losses from this season to replace for next year.
Nebraska – A win at home against Colorado and a bowl win will sneak them into the Top 25 at the end of the year.
Oregon State – A huge win against the Ducks on the road will help their cause to stay on this list but a must win in the bowl game up next.
Tennessee – They have barely made my 'others' page this week, but must maintain it with a win against Kentucky.
Ouimet's Top 25
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
Beilein not concerned by Albrecht's returnMichigan coach John Beilein spent some time discussing senior day against Purdue and the return of Spike Albrecht.
The Michigan Insider2:39 PM
Q&A: Petit-Frere Searching for Right FitThe Michigan Insider conducts a Q&A with 2018 OL Nick Petit-Frere.
The Michigan Insider12:00 PM
Missouri '18 CB: 'Michigan is No. 1 for sure'Lee’s Summit (Mo.) West 2018 cornerback Mario Goodrich: "Michigan is No. 1 for sure."
The Michigan Insider2:05 AM
Michigan making Georgia CB a top 'Priority'College Park (Ga.) Hapeville Charter 2018 CB Christopher Smith is building a bond with Jim Harbaugh and Michigan.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 5:19 PM