Michigan fell to 1-2 on the season with a 35-17 loss to Notre Dame on Saturday afternoon in South Bend, Ind. Michigan fumbled the ball eight times, losing four, and had a pair of interceptions. Sam McGuffie accounted for 177 all-purpose yards and a 40-yard touchdown catch as the Wolverines struggled to capitalize on their offensive chances.

South Bend, Ind. – Michigan lost. And it was U-G-L-Y. Eight fumbles, four of them lost, and two late game interceptions cost Michigan (1-2) as the Wolverines dropped their first road game of the season, a disappointing 35-17 loss to Notre Dame (2-0) in South Bend, Ind.

A lone bright spot? Sam McGuffie.

Freshman running back Sam McGuffie rushed for 130-yards on 26 carries, plus added 40-yard touchdown reception, on the way to 177 all-purpose, and no fumbles.

The rest of the team, however, wasn't so fortunate. And it started right from the get-go. Freshman kick returner Boubacar Cissoko didn't even get to the 15-yardline on the games initial return after dropping the opening kick-off of the game, and on its first possession, Michigan gave the ball away inside the 10-yardline on a backwards pass that was dropped by running back Brandon Minor.

Notre Dame punched it in quickly with a run off left tackle by Robert Hughes out of the goaline set.

The ensuing kick-off resulted in another Michigan turnover. Michael Shaw dropped the Notre Dame kick-off, and the Notre Dame's kick-off coverage team pounced on the loose ball inside the Michigan 15. On the third snap of the drive, Jimmy Clausen connected with sophomore wide receiver Duval Kamara. Michigan trailed 14-0 less than five minutes into the game.

The Michigan offense began to settle on its second possession. The team marched 50-yards into Notre Dame territory, but a long pass to Greg Mathews down the left sideline was ruled incomplete in the end zone, and Michigan turned it over on downs after a 4th-and-6 pass fell incomplete.

Two plays later Jimmy Clausen connected with Golden Tate on a 48-yard touchdown pass.

Michigan's offense finally broke onto the scoreboard late in the first quarter. Steven Threet moved the chains onto the Notre Dame side of the field for a second time, and this time Michigan made it count. Sam McGuffie took a pass out of the backfield from the Notre Dame 40-yardline, and danced around Irish defenders up the middle of the field to trim the Notre Dame lead back to 21-7.

Morgan Trent intercepted Jimmy Clausen on Notre Dame's next possession, and Michigan added a field goal after a 29-yard run by McGuffie and a personal foul on Notre Dame moved the ball inside the Irish 40-yardline. Michigan would get a first-and-goal situation after a 21-yard run by Threet, but would have to settle for a 23-yard K.C. Lopata field goal.

Each team added one more touchdown before the end of the first half. Notre Dame scored from the 1-yardline after Golden Tate took a pass over the middle 60-yards to give the Irish first-and-goal, and after Threet and wide receiver Darryl Stonum connected on passes of 20 and 10-yards, Kevin Grady pounded it in from seven yards out.

Neither team would score in the third quarter. Michigan was the closest, moving inside the Notre Dame 10-yard line with over seven minutes left in the frame, but running back Kevin Grady fumbled the ball back to the Fighting Irish, Michigan's third turnover of the game.

The Wolverines partially blocked the Notre Dame punt after the following Notre Dame drive stalled, but quarterback Steven Threet lost control of the football and Irish lineman Brian Smith scooped it up and took it back to the Michigan end zone to provide the Irish dagger.

Michigan turned the ball over twice more, both interceptions thrown by Nick Sheridan, and Notre Dame ran out the remaining clock in the 35-17 Irish win.

The Wolverines are off next weekend and will host Wisconsin in their Big 10 opener two weeks from today.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories