The Dec. 6-8 Official Visit Weekend:
(1) - All-American running back Lynell Hamilton (Stanford Nike stats: 6-0, 195 lbs., 4.25 shuttle, 28-inch vertical jump ... 4.4 in the 40, 3.0 GPA) from Stockton, Calif., Edison. On Dec. 8 he told us, "I've been to Oregon, Colorado and Michigan now. Trip-wise, I gotta say Michigan was the best ... then Oregon, then Colorado. School-wise, as far as choosing a college, I have to think about it. And I'm still looking at Oklahoma and Arizona for possible visits." Coach Carr will probably make an in-home visit in January. He was injured with a hip pointer this season and therefore had scheduled an official visit to U-M for the Oct. 26 Iowa game; but he returned to semi-health and stayed home to play in his own game. He finished the season with 1,042 yards in eight games (his team finished 9-1). He is Tom Lemming's #124 prospect.
(2) - Michigan commitment running back/safety Anton Campbell (Dec. 6 official visit, 6-0, 185 lbs., 4.45 in the 40, 330-lb. bench press, 36-inch vertical jump, 2.8 GPA/18 ACT) from O'Fallon, Missou., Fort Zumwalt West. He made an unofficial visit for the PSU game. For the season for the 8-3 Fort Zumwalt West Jaguars Campbell rushed for 1,175 yards (6.2 yards per carry) and 20 touchdowns; on defense he recorded 82 tackles, six interceptions and eight pass breakups. He is Tom Lemming's #82 prospect, and has been selected to the final roster of the US Army All-Star Game in San Antonio in January.
(3) All-American running back Lendale White (6-2, 230 lbs., 4.5 in the 40, 2.7 GPA/18 ACT) from Littleton, Colorado, Chatfield. On Dec. 9 he told us, "I had a great visit, I really enjoyed myself. My host was Jason Avant. I got to watch their bowl practice Sunday. Practice was fast and intense! I have one visit remaining that I could take. But I'm done visiting. I like all four teams right now (Michigan, USC, Texas and Pitt) ... the USC visit was great, and Michigan's ... all of them really. If I feel comfortable with one school I could decide by Christmas. If I don't, then Coach Carr will come on for an in-home visit in January." He has already visited Texas (Oct 19), Pitt (Oct 26), and USC (Nov. 29). He rushed for 1,600 yards this season for 7-3 Littleton Chatfield. He also set a state career rushing record with 7,800 yards. He is Tom Lemming's #53 prospect.
(4) Running back/safety Jerome Jackson (MSU Nike stats: 5-11 1/2, 193 lbs. ... 4.45 in the 40, 3.5 GPA/16 ACT) from Saginaw, Mich. On Dec. 8 he told us, "I got all of my questions answered and then some! I'm real close (to a decision). I plan on thinking over, talking it over with my parents and my brother (Minnesota RB Terry Jackson), and then making my decision right after Christmas vacation." He has also made official visits to Purdue (his co-fav with U-M) and Minnesota (for the U-M game), and to Oklahoma Nov. 22 with Lamarr .
(5) All-American offensive lineman Jake Long (2002 Michigan camper, 6-7, 295 lbs., 5.0 in the 40, 340-lb. bench press, 2.7 GPA) from Lapeer, Mich., East. He is TheInsiders.com's #79 prospect.
(6) Defensive/Offensive lineman Pat Sharrow (2002 Michigan camper, 6-3, 275 lbs., 4.9 in the 40) from Monroe, Michigan. He committed during his visit: "I went ahead and committed to Coach Carr while we were talking this morning. He said they will train me at guard and center." Mr. Sharrow: "They also talked to him this weekend about being a long-snapper too." He made an unofficial visit for the Washington game and the Michigan spring game; in the fall of 2001 he visited for almost all of Michigan's home games.
(7) All-American defensive/tight end Doug Van Dyke (2002 Michigan camper, 6-4, 245 lbs., 4.8 in the 40, 2.4 GPA/21 ACT) from Marshall, Mich. Doug is the younger brother of former MSU quarterback Ryan Van Dyke. On Dec. 8 he told us, "The visit was awesome, everything I expected. My mom went with me. Pat Massey ws my host, and we talked about playing the DL at Michigan. "Michigan and Purdue are tied for me. Both teams' coaches are great players are cool, and their players are cool. I'm going to Wisconsin this weekend, and Ohio State January 10th." As far as Nebraska: "Probably. Ryan just tells me he wishes he could've taken some official visits." And as far as comparing Michigan with his first official visit, to Purdue, Doug would only say, For the season for 10-2 Marshall, Van Dyke had 70 tackles, 10 sacks, and 15 tackles for loss. He is TheInsiders' #81 prospect.
(8) All-American outside linebacker/defensive end Kirston Pittman (6-4, 235 lbs., 4.5 in the 40) from Reserve, Louisiana, East St. John High (just west of New Orleans). On Dec. 8 he told us regarding his visit, "It went great man, lovely. My host was Tim Massaquoi ... everyone pretty much hung around together really. That was the first time I'd seen snow -- there was snow on the ground, and it snowed some during the weekend. It was cold, but it was not bad at all. The most impressive thing about the visit? The Business Management school. I go to Texas midweek December 17-19, then in January I go to Florida State January 10, Florida January 17 and Miami January 24." Pittman is TheInsiders #56 prospect.
(9) All-American linebacker Lamarr Woodley (MSU Nike stats: 6-1 1/2, 250 lbs., 4.0 in the shuttle; 4.72 in the 40, 4.0 in the shuttle, 29-inch vertical jump, 315-lb. bench press, 2.9 GPA/16 ACT) from Saginaw, Mich. On Dec. 9 he told us, "The visit was good. My host was Braylon Edwards. I'd met him a few times before and already knew him pretty well. We hung around with Marlin Jackson and Pierre Woods. And Jerome (Jackson, Woodley's Saginaw teammate) was there with us of course, and Roy Manning. You know I don't have any more visits set up. So I'm just going to think about things. All my visits were nice, but the environments were all different. I just have to think over everything. I'll see Coach Carr again in the next week or so. He's going to come to one of our basketball games. I've got practice tonight." USC and U-M hay be his leaders, and we'll see what happens once MSU hires a coach. For the season, Woodley had 90 tackles and 10 sacks. He is The Insiders' #2 prospect.
(10) All-American cornerback Donte Whitner (2002 Michigan camper, MSU Nike stats: 5-11, 176 lbs., 4.43 in the 40, 32.8 inch vertical jump; 10.4 100 meters, 3.5 GPA, 17 ACT) from Cleveland, Ohio, Glenville. On Dec. 8 he told us, "The visit went well. I hung around with a lot of the players, Marlin Jackson was my host, and Pierre Woods and Braylon Edwards. I got to talk to the coaches, we had dinner and lunch together. The one thing different between [U-M and OSU] is the academic part. That's more emphasized at Michigan." Whitner has been to USC (with Dareus Hiley), Ohio State (with Hiley) and Michigan now. He visits Notre Dame next, this coming weekend, and then Miami (with Hiley) December 20. "I am going to make my decision between the end of the Miami visit and December 30th." Whatever college he picks, Whitner is entering college in Janaury! He is The Insiders' #19 prospect.
(11) All-American ‘athlete' Dareus Hiley (5-11, 175 lbs., 4.4 in the 40, 2.7 GPA) from Cleveland, Ohio, Glenville. OSU, USC and U-M are his favorities, but probably OSU leads. He also visited OSU (Nov. 23, with Whitner), USC (Nov. 29, with Whitner), and will visit Wisconsin (Dec. 11-13) and Miami (Dec. 20, with Whitner). He is The Insider's #58 prospect.
Dec. 6-8 Official Visit Weekend Wrap-up
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
Oregon Likes to Run; So Does MichiganOregon is one of the best transition teams in the country on offense and defense. So if Michigan tries to get up and down in this game it might be to its own detriment, right?…
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 9:17 PM
WATCH: Donlon's Motivational MessagesFrom "street fight" to "not today", Michigan assistant Billy Donlon goes in-depth on the thoughts behind the messages he has use to motivate the Wolverines during their recent run.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 9:17 PM
La. 2018 WR: U-M is a 'great school'New Orleans (La.) Mcdonogh 2018 WR Lawrence Keys talks Michigan offer, possible visit and more.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 9:20 AM
Top Fla. '18 WR Copeland Talks MichiganPensacola (Fla.) Escambia 2018 WR Jacob Copeland updates recruitment, talks Michigan and more.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 9:01 AM
Standout WR Hazel Details B1G, ACC SuitorsUpper Marlboro (Md.) Wise receiver Isaiah Hazel holds six offers, and is making plenty of visits.
Scout FootballYesterday at 6:21 AM