Michigan Drops Road Contest 72-54

Michigan dropped a 72-54 decision on the road against the Ohio State Buckeyes to fall to 14-7 on the season and 4-5 in Big 10 play. Manny Harris led Michigan scorers with 22 points, but the Wolverines scored just 18 as a team in the first half and never recovered from an 18-point halftime deficit.

COLUMBUS -- Manny Harris finished with 22 points and 12 rebounds, but the U-M basketball team struggled offensively in the first half scoring just 18 points over the opening 20 minutes, and a second half rally fell short as the Ohio State Buckeyes dropped Michigan to 4-5 in Big 10 play with a 72-54 decision on Wednesday night.

In the game-deciding first half, the Wolverines struggles shooting the ball continued. Going 0-for-11 from behind the arc in the first 20 minutes, Michigan trailed 36-18 at the break. DeShawn Sims, who finished with 13 points, the lone Wolverine to get things going offensively in the opening period.

At the start of the second half the Wolverines began to trim the 18-point halftime deficit. Laval Lucas-Perry and Manny Harris each connected from behind the arc, Michigan's first triples, to make it 39-24.

Two more triples, a second from Lucas-Perry and the first of two from Zack Novak, cut the lead to 10 points at 43-33 with 14:24 to play.

Ohio State had an answer, though. Uncontested points in the paint by Evan Turner, who finished with ?? points to lead the Buckeyes, Jon Diebler and B.J. Mullens helped Ohio State re-establish a 49-36 lead.

With 8:03 to play the Wolverines cut the Ohio State lead into single digits. A pair of Harris free throws made it 44-53. DeShawn Sims then cut it to an eight point lead at 54-46 with 6:35 to go, but Michigan got no closer.

Jeremie Simmons connected from deep to put the lead back at 11 points. Jon Diebler added one of his own before a Sims layup that left the score 60-48 OSU.

Over the final minutes Ohio State extended the lead from the free throw line as the home team cruised to an 18-point victory.

In the first half the Wolverines didn't connect on a field goal from the floor almost halfway through the period. Aside from a pair of free throws and a goal tending call against the Buckeyes, Michigan didn't it took until the 10:46 mark for Michigan to score. By the time the drought ended, the Buckeyes had built a 19-4 lead.

The Wolverines next return to the floor to take on the Purdue Boilermakers in West Lafayette on Saturday afternoon. Tip-off is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories