Committing to Virginia Tech: defensive end Michiael Brown from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. The Hokies have been his favorite all along. Michigaan's in-home was scheduled for this coming week.
Cancelling Michigan visit: running back Tyrone Moss from Pompano Beach, Fla., Ely (Miami area). He has been committed to Miami but added a last second visit to Michigan for this weekend, then 'postponed' it (telling me Thurs. night that he wanted to reschedule). In the end, it looks like after a Friday 3-way call between Michigan, Moss and his coach, Moss and Michigan have parted ways. Follow-up
Michigan recruits making visits elsewhere this weekend.
- All-American linebacker Lamarr Woodley (Dec. 6 official visit, MSU Nike stats: 6-1 1/2, 250 lbs., 4.0 in the shuttle; 4.72 in the 40, 4.0 in the shuttle, 29-inch vertical jump, 315-lb. bench press, 2.9 GPA/16 ACT) from Saginaw, Mich. Visiting MSU this weekend -- his last visit. Teammate Jerome Jackson reportedly did not go on the MSU visit with him (there is mixed info on that actually), but his mother did (which could be interpreted as either good or bad news) ... Woodley had a basketball game last night, so the visit is Saturday-Sunday. It is U-M or MSU for Woodley. By the way, one more tidbit here: Woodley's cousin and MSU team member Jeremiah McClauren is reportedly transferring.
- All-American running back Lynell Hamilton (Dec. 6 official visit, Stanford Nike stats: 6-0, 195 lbs., 4.25 shuttle, 28-inch vertical jump ... 4.4 in the 40, 3.0 GPA) from Stockton, Calif., Edison. Visiting San Diego State this week (he has family in San Diego), and Alabama State next (where his brother attends and plays football). Hamilton's Michigan recruiter was Brady Hoke, and Hoke's loss sets Michigan back -- Hoke tried to get a decision from the family just before he left, but they did not go along with being hurried up. Coach Carr has not made his in-home yet and Coach Jackson has taken over as his primary Michigan recruiter, but Michigan has to make up ground on Oregon now.
- All-American linebacker Shawn Crable (Dec. 13 official visit, 2002 Michigan camper, 6-6, 225 lbs., 4.74 in the 40, 10.8 100 meters, 2.8 GPA/15 ACT) from Massillon, Ohio, Washington. Visiting Pitt this weekend and OSU next. Had the US Army Game weekend been 'Signing Day' it would've looked good for Michigan, but Pitt (where his best friend from Massillon Washington plays) and OSU are Michigan's serious competition for him.
- Linebacker Fred Sparkman (Dec. 13 official visit, 6-1, 216 lbs., 4.6 in the 40, 3.6 GPA/19 ACT) from Columbia, Tenn., Central. Visiting 'the competition', North Carolina, this weekend for his final visit.
- All-American outside linebacker/defensive end Kirston Pittman (Dec. 6 oficial visit, 6-4, 235 lbs., 4.5 in the 40) from Reserve, Louisiana, East St. John High (just west of New Orleans). Visiting Florida State this weekend, then Miami Jan. 24, and LSU Jan. 31.
All-American defensive lineman Carnell Stewart (tentative Jan. 31 official visit, 6-5, 290 lbs., 4.8 in the 40, 415-lb. bench press, 2.8 GPA) from River Ridge, Louisiana, John Curtis Christian. Visiting Florida this weekend, then LSU and Miami the next two weeks. Note: LSU may loom large, we'll see if he makes in to his Michigan visit or not.
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
WATCH: Irvin reacts to victory over IllinoisWatch as senior captain Zak Irvin reacts to Michigan's 66-57 victory over Illinois.
The Michigan Insider2:17 PM
RECAP: U-M with statement win against IlliniTMI's Josh Newkirk and Josh Henschke recap Michigan's 66-57 statement win against Illinois and more.
The Michigan Insider2:14 PM
What we learned: U-M beats Illinois 66-57The Michigan Insider breaks down what it learned during Michigan's 66-57 victory over Illinois on Saturday.
The Michigan Insider12:35 PM
Beilein: Walton Jr. expected to be 'full go'Michigan coach John Beilein says he expects Derrick Walton Jr. to be fine for Illinois Saturday.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 9:50 PM