If you click on TheInsiders.com "Team Rankings" at the top of our main page, you will see that even though they have Michigan ranked #15 in the country, looking a litte deeper is revealing. Michigan's "Avg*" -- meaning "average stars per player committed" -- is 3.76, third in the country and just barely behind Florida's 3.82 and Miami's 3.78. And Michigan's "Avg Rank *" -- meaning "Average player rank for each player at each position" -- is 24.82, second only to LSU's 21.29.
Tom Lemming put it succinctly on ESPN.com: "If my ranking was based solely on the top 10 players, Michigan might be No. 1."
So, below we present to you the 17 members of the final Michigan recruiting class -- listing their best rankings by TheInsiders, Lemming's Prep Football Report (PFR), Allen Wallace's SuperPrep, and also Parade Magazine's 55-member All-American team and and Student Sports (which is part of The Insiders' network) 75-member All-American team (Student Sports and Parade used some of the same experts in naming their teams). National rankings are in Bold.
To subscribe to Tom Lemming's and Allen Wallace's services (both indispensible to recruiting fans!), go to PrepFootballReport.com and SuperPrep.com.
We will list them in order of their approximate 'Star Rating."
Michigan landed five "Top 50-caliber" recruits. Landing even one top 50 kid is considered very good! Five is exceptional, even better than Michigan's 2001 Shazor/Baraka/Massey class, and the '98 Henson/Terrell/Fargas class):
1. Linebacker Lamarr Woodley (Dec. 6 official visit, MSU Nike stats: 6-1 1/2, 250 lbs., 4.0 in the shuttle; 4.72 in the 40, 4.0 in the shuttle, 29-inch vertical jump, 315-lb. bench press, 2.9 GPA/16 ACT) from Saginaw, Mich.
SuperPrep's #20 prospect and #3 linebacker,
PFR's #24 prospect, named to PFR's 23-member "Super Team",
Parade Magazine's Top-55,
Student Sports' Top 75,
The Insiders' #5 prospect,
He is also The Detroit Free Press' #1 player in its "Best of the Midwest" list.
2. Safety/linebacker Prescott Burgess (Dec. 13 official visit, 2002 Michigan camper, 6-3, 220 lbs., 4.59 in the 40 at the OSU Camp, 3.0 GPA/15 ACT) from Warren, Ohio, Harding.
PFR's #36 prospect, named to PFR's 23-member "Super Team,
SuperPrep's #25 prospect and #3 linebacker(!),
The Insiders' #17 prospect.
3. Safety Ryan Mundy (Nov. 2 official visit, PSU Nike stats: 6-2, 200 lbs., 16 reps of 185 lbs.; 4.45 in the 40, 10.7 100 meters, 290-lb. bench press, 2.7 GPA/830 SAT in 2001) from/ Pittsburgh, Penn., Woodland Hills (former teammate of Steve Breaston).
SuperPrep's #4 prospect and #1(!) defensive back,
PFR's #40 prospect, named to PFR's 23-member "Super Team,
Student Sports' Top 75,
The Insiders' #92 prospect.
4. Quarterback Clayton Richard (Nov. 15 official visit, 6-5, 225 lbs., 4.7 in the 40, 4.0 GPA/1340 SAT) from Lafayette, Ind., McCutcheon.
PFR's #20 prospect,
SuperPrep's #78 prospect,
Parade Magazine's Top-55,
Student Sports' Top 75.
5. Defensive end Will Paul (Dec. 13 official visit, 2002 Michigan camp visitor, MSU Nike stats: 6-4, 255 lbs., 4.59 in the 40, 3.0 GPA/18 ACT) from St. Louis Parkway West, Missou.
SuperPrep's #30 prospect and #6 defensive lineman,
The Insiders' #38> prospect,
PFR's #79 prospect.
Michigan landed seven more "Top 100-caliber" recruits, for a total of twelve in the Top 100. Again, this is exceptional -- in its best years ala '01 and '98 years Michigan lands 10-12).
6. Linebacker Shawn Crable (Dec. 13 official visit, 2002 Michigan camper, 6-6, 225 lbs., 4.74 in the 40, 10.8 100 meters, 2.8 GPA/15 ACT) from Massillon, Ohio, Washington.
PFR's #73< prospect,
SuperPrep's #72 prospect and #7 linebacker.
7. Offensive lineman Jeff Zuttah (Dec. 13 official visit, 6-4, 280 lbs., 4.95 in the 40, 410 lb. bench press, 3.2 GPA, 1160 SAT) from The Hun School, Princeton, New Jersey.
SuperPrep's #69 prospect and #4 offensive lineman,
PFR's #80 prospect.
8. Offensive lineman Jake Long (Dec. 6 official visit, 2002 Michigan camper, 6-7, 295 lbs., 5.0 in the 40, 340-lb. bench press, 2.7 GPA) from Lapeer, Mich., East. He is TheInsiders.com's #79 prospect.
The Insiders' #81 prospect,
He is also The Detroit Free Press' #17 player in its "Best of the Midwest" list.
9. Place kicker Garrett Rivas (Sept. 31 visit, 2002 Michigan camper, 5-9, 180 lbs.) from Tampa, Fla., Jesuit. He committed during the visit.
Named to PFR's 23-member "Super Team."
10. Running back/safety Anton Campbell (Dec. 6 official visit, 2002 Michigan camp visitor, 6-0, 185 lbs., 4.45 in the 40, 330-lb. bench press, 36-inch vertical jump, 2.8 GPA/18 ACT) from O'Fallon, Missou., Fort Zumwalt West.
PFR's #86 prospect.
SuperPrep's #8 'athlete'.
11. Cornerback Leon Hall (Jan. 10 official visit, USC Nike Stats: 5-11, 175 lbs., 4.42 in the 40, 4.19shuttle, 33 inch vertical jump) from Vista, Calif.
PFR's #158 prospect,
The Insiders' #82 prospect.
12. Cornerback/'athlete' Quinton McCoy (5-11, 174 lbs., 4.3 in the 40, 10.5 electronically timed 100 meters, 38 inch vertical jump).
In Dec. 01 he was named Student Sports' #82 prospect overall.
After the 'headliners', the 'meat' of the class is just as important -- especially for a small class. No top recruiting class has more than around 10 headliners, and that is not enough to field a great team. So it is this next group that is just as key. And for Michigan the next group consists of two more definite 'Top 200' kids, and three who can be considered 'sleepers'.
13. (Could've possibly been slipped into the previous group) Linebacker Jim Presley (Dec. 13 official visit, 2002 Michigan camper, MSU Nike stats: 6-2 1/2, 215 lbs., 4.56 in the 40, 4.06 in the shuttle; 30.3 inch vertical jump, 18 bench press reps of 185 lbs. ... 10.8 100 meters, 375-lb. bench press, 2.9 GPA/19 ACT) from , Highland, Mich., Milford High.
PFR's #170 prospect,
SuperPrep's #17 linebacker,
Parade Magazine's Top-55,
He is also The Detroit Free Press' #14 player in its "Best of the Midwest" list.
14. (Perhaps Michigan's most underrated recruit) Tight end/offensive lineman Adam Kraus (no official visit set, 2002 Michigan camper, 6-6, 275 lbs., 4.9 in the 40, 300-lb. bench press, strong student) from New Orleans Brother Martin.
PFR's #192 prospect.
SuperPrep's #7 tight end.
15. (Considered a top 200-or-better junior, but shared time at RB as a senior) Running back/safety Jerome Jackson (Dec. 6 official visit, MSU Nike stats: 5-11 1/2, 193 lbs. ... 4.45 in the 40, 3.5 GPA/16 ACT) from Saginaw, Mich. Note: I am optimistic about Michigan's chances with him.
SuperPrep's #25 Midwest prospect,
PFR's #38 Midwest prospect.
16. (Michigan's future long-snapper) Offensive lineman Pat Sharrow (Dec. 6 official visit, 2002 Michigan camper, 6-3, 275 lbs., 4.9 in the 40, 390-lb. bench press, 3.6 GPA) from Monroe, Michigan.
SuperPrep's #34 Midwest prospect.
17. (Michigan's truest 'sleeper') Defensive back Brandent Englemon (Jan. 31 official visit, 6-1, 185 lbs., 4.5 in the 40, 4.0+ GPA) from Covington, Kentucky, Holmes.
Quite a class. Sit back, relax, and enjoy it ... okay that's enough -- it's on to JUNIORS!
Ranking/Rating Of Each U-M Signee
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
U-M Among Standouts for Clemson OL TransferAfter losing former U.S Army All American lineman Jake Fruhmorgen to Clemson a little over two years ago, Michigan now has another chance to land him.
The Michigan Insider5:29 PM
Scouting Eli BrooksThe Michigan Insider's Eugene Hankerson was court-side at Carlisle (Pa.) high Monday night to see the home team do battle Spring Grove (Pa.) featuring 2017 Michigan point guard…
The Michigan Insider1:35 PM
Big Season Launches 2018 4-star DE MartinAfter a big junior season, San Bernardino (Calif.) Cajon 2018 defensive end Jeremiah Martin has a handful of schools offering and more interest...
Scout Football1:30 PM
Beilein: Wisconsin will put pressure on U-MMichigan coach John Beilein previews tonight's primetime match-up with Wisconsin on the road in Madison.
The Michigan Insider12:11 PM