Sims Sends It To OT; U-M Then Wins 80-78

The Michigan basketball team improved to 13-12 on the season and 6-7 in the Big 10 with an 80-78 win over the Iowa Hawkeyes on Tuesday night at Carver Arena in Iowa City. DeShawn Sims and Manny Harris led the Wolverines with 27 and 20 points.

IOWA CITY, Iowa - The Michigan basketball team overcame a five-point deficit with just 22-seconds remaining to force overtime on a late DeShawn Sims three-pointer, then the Wolverines downed the Iowa Hawkeyes 80-78 on Tuesday night at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

DeShawn Sims led the Wolverines with 27-points, including the game-tying three-pointer, plus Manny Harris added 20 points and 10 rebounds. With the win U-M improves to 13-12 on the season and 6-7 in Big 10 action.

Over the first 12:31 minutes of the contest the Wolverines emerged with a 10-point 29-19 lead. Michigan hit seven three-pointers in the opening stretch, including three straight from Laval Lucas-Perry to give U-M it's largest lead.

Iowa answered with a 14-4 run over the halfs final seven minutes to draw even at 33-33 at the break. Aaron Fuller, who finished with a game-high 30 points, scored eight during the late first half stretch.

In the second half the teams continued its back-and-forth battles to keep the score 52-52 with just 7:10 remaining. Over the final minutes though, it appeared the Hawkeyes would avenge its early season loss at Crisler Arena.

Matt Gatens hit from deep, and Eric May followed with a layup to give Iowa a 57-52 lead with 5:29 left. Iowa maintained the lead despite eight points from DeShawn Sims and Manny Harris over the next four minutes, and a Gatens layup stretched Iowa's lead back out to 63-60 with just 46-seconds left.

Aaron Fuller added two more free throws to make it 65-60 with just 22-seconds remaining. DeShawn Sims finished regular with a three-point play though, and then, following Iowa's Cully Payne hitting just 1-of-2 from the line, sent the game to overtime with a three-pointer at the end of regulation.

Iowa briefly grabbed an overtim lead, but the Wolverines went up for good on a Stu Douglass three-pointer with 1:45 remaining. After DeShawn Sims added one more basket, Laval Lucas-Perry and Manny Harris put the game away at the free throw line.

Michigan returns home on Saturday night at 6:00 p.m. to meet the Penn State Nittany Lions at Crisler Arena.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories