All That Ends Well.....

Jahmere Irvin-Sills committed to Auburn during the early summer. The Delaware native felt the anxiety and drama that often comes with the recruiting process was behind him once and for all. After a coaching change on the plains of Auburn, Irvin-Sills elected to look elsewhere. Things were not always easy, but in the end the three star corner signed with an SEC program after all.

Jahmere Irvin-Sills profile

"The recruiting process is a lot of fun most of the time," said Irvin-Sills. "I had a lot of fun getting to know about all of the schools.

"It can be stressful at times, but you just have to know how to handle everything."

The Tri-State Christian Academy star reports that the decision to back off of an early pledge to Auburn was extremely difficult.

During his time on the open market a second time, Irvin-Sills found that the recruiting process can be a rather fickle undertaking.

Many of the schools that had courted him early on, had either filled the their needs at corner or had forged relationships with other prospects while Irvin-Sills was considered "taken".

"After I decommitted from Auburn, it was really slow," said Irvin-Sills. "I had talked with my parents and my coaches about everything and there were some times that I thought I might have made a mistake.

"I just kept working hard and I tried to remain patient with everything."

As the season wrapped up, several schools took another look at Irvin-Sills.

Mississippi State, Tennessee and West Virginia proved to be some of the most serious suitors late in the process.

In the end, Irvin-Sills fell in love with one program during his official visit.

"Mississippi State was the only school I visited," said Irvin-Sills. "I knew once I went down there that I needed to be down there.

"Even after I got home, it just never left me. I knew that was where I wanted to go."

Despite his attraction to Mississippi State, it was not a foregone conclusion that the Bulldogs would have room.

"I talked a lot with Caoch Tim Brewster and he told me not to worry about anything," said Irvin-Sills. "Coach Brewster told me he was going to be sure I had a spot with them if I really wanted to go there.

"I talked to him right before signing day and he told me to wait for the call."

The call came on signing day. While the official word came as a relief, Irvin-Sills reports that he never had any doubts.

"I knew Coach Brewster was going to come through for me," said Irvin-Sills. "He told me not to worry, so I didn't.

"I watched signing day on TV and just waited for him to call.

"They got a hold of me and they told me they were sending my scholarship paperwork over."

Irvin-Sills reports that a rush of emotion overcame him when he put pen to paper and offered his autograph to the Mississippi State football staff.

"I was just so happy," said Irvin-Sills of signing. "I know that I have had a lot of people doubt me and a lot of people give up on me, but I kept working and my dream came true.

"I know that signing day is just the beginning though.

"I still have a lot to prove and I have a lot to learn.

"I talked with Coach Deshea Townsend when I was on my visit.

"He knows the cornerback position and I know he is going to teach me a lot of things to help me in college and beyond."

With his college future now centered around Starkville, Mississippi, Irvin-Sills is simply ready to get to work.

"I don't play any spring sports, so I am just going to be lifting and getting ready to go play in the SEC," said Irvin-Sills. "All of the struggle is behind me now.

"I think I am one of the first players from Delaware to go play in the SEC and that is something I am excited about.

"I am just getting ready to go make a new life for myself at Mississippi State."

Gene's Page Top Stories