Bulldog Blocking Must Mature Ahead of SEC Opener

His unit got the job done on about 80% of snaps. But the other 20% had the sorts of offensive line technical breakdowns and missed assignments which made the difference in Mississippi State’s opening day loss.

The Bulldog blocking coach and run game coordinator met with media Tuesday following practice. He reports a couple of productive days’ work. At the same time individual mistakes continue to crop up that ought already have been corrected.

So, the instruction continues as Mississippi State (0-1) prepares to open SEC season against South Carolina (1-0, 1-0). Hevesy also explained why contrary to preseason lists, the starting assignments were flipped for both guards.

Mostly though, the coach talked about how his group has to mature faster. Some current starters aren’t far removed from waving towels on bowl game sidelines, Hevesy reminded. It’s the task of the trio of seniors—Justin Senior, Jamaal Clayborn, Devon Desper—to accelerate that growth while playing like upperclassmen as well.


Gene's Page Top Stories