After winning 3 of their first 4 games at the 2004 Junior Sunbelt Classic Tournament, Mississippi lost to Tennessee, Missouri and Texas the past two days. They face Canada and Oklahoma Blue Tuesday. Beginning Wednesday, teams will play for their final tournament position. As of now, it looks like California and Texas will play for the championship spot of the tournament.
Game five, which was played Sunday afternoon, saw the Mississippi team lose to Tennessee 8-0. Mississippi held their own for the first four innings, trailing 3-0, but the floodgates opened in the 5th with Tennessee scoring 5 runs. The losing pitcher was Seminary High School's Zac Lott. Mississippi was only able to get three hits during the game. Senior Todd Summlin of Vancleave High School was 1-for-3, while Itawamba A.H.S.'s Brian Dozier and Northeast Lauderdale High School's Cory Chance (both seniors) were both 1-for-2.
On Monday, the Mississippi team lost two, 8-6 to Missouri and 11-2 to Texas.
Against Missouri, Mississippi jumped out to a 5-1 lead after scoring 2 and 3 runs in the first and second innings, but Missouri scored 6 in the bottom of the 2nd to take a 7-5 lead. Mississippi came right back and scored 1 in the top of the third to make the score 7-6, but Missouri added another run in the bottom of the 4th to score the last run of the game. Two home runs by Missouri were the difference in the game. Manchester Academy senior RHP Kyle Fairly took the lost for the Mississippians. Mississippi was led at the plate by Todd Summlin and Pascagoula High School senior infielder Paul Gatchell with two hits apiece. Southaven High School senior Brach Davis also had a hit.
The final game of the day saw Texas jump out to a 6-0 lead heading into the bottom of the 3rd inning. The Missisisppi youngsters scored two runs in that inning, but couldn't solve the Texas pitchers the rest of the way. Texas added a run in the 6th and 4 in the 7th. New Hope High School junior pitcher Garrett Harris took the lose. Six hitters had a hit apiece; Paul Gatchell, Brach Davis, Brian Dozier, Adams County Christian School junior Timmy Foster, Kosciusko HS senior Scott McCrory and Senatobia HS junior Taylor Walker.
Mississippi will throw Cullen Kight, a right handed pitcher from Simpson Academy, and D'Iberville HS right handed pitcher Glendel Madden today.
Players who have hit the ball well are as follows.Paul Gatchell - Has 9 hits.
Dave Woods - Has 6 hits.
Brach Davis - Has 6 hits.
Brian Dozier - Has 6 hits.
Taylor Walker - Has 5 hits.
Todd Summlin - Had 3 hits during the last three games.
MISSISSIPPI ROSTER (Unless noted, all are seniors-to-be)1. Cory Chance - OF/RHP, N.E. Lauderdale H.S.
2. Glendel Madden - RHP/3B, D'Iberville H.S.
3. Taylor Walker - Junior, SS/2B/RHP, Senatobia H.S.
4. Brach Davis - LHP/1B, Southaven H.S.
5. Garrett Harris - Junior, RHP, New Hope H.S.
6. Charlie Williams - LHP/OF, Saltillo H.S.
7. Parker Temple - RHP/OF, West Lauderdale H.S.
8. Timmy Foster - Junior, RHP/INF, Adams County Christian School
9. Paul Gatchell - RHP/3B/SS, Pascagoula H.S.
10. Dave Woods - C/RF, West Lauderdale H.S.
11 Cullen Kight - RHP/1B, Simpson Academy
12. Tyler McMullen - Junior., RHP/C, Meridian H.S.
13. Brian Dozier - SS, Itawamba A.H.S.
14. Alex Ward - C, Simpson Academy
15. Zac Lott - RHP/INF, Seminary H.S.
16. Kyle Fairly - RHP, Manchester Academy
17. Austin Tayler - RHP, Kosciusko H.S
18. Scott McCrory - C/RHP, Kosciusko H.S.
19. Ricky Gardner - Sophomore., RHP, West Lauderdale H.S.
20. Todd Summlin - INF, Vancleave H.S.
Gene Swindoll is the publisher/owner of Gene's Page, the source for Mississippi State sports on TheInsiders.com sports network. He can be reached by email at email@example.com