Ron Polk - "I didn't phrase it right. It was just a bad quote by me, which happens after many of the ballgames. What I basically said is both teams accomplished what they had to do; Alabama to get in the (SEC) tournament and we not to get swept. It was not that I was happy that we didn't get swept. You never want to get swept. We came into the series wanting to win all three ballgames. We always compete and we play to win three."
2) The Mississippi State football players return for the first summer session on June 4th. Look for up to 75 to 80% of the returning players to report for the session.
3) Mississippi State has ten of their football signees scheduled to play in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game which will be held 7 p.m., June 2nd, at Ladd-Peeples Stadium in Mobile, Alabama. Damein Anderson, Maurice Crutison, Antwon Dixon, Robert Elliott, Jazzmen Guy, Eric Richards, Quentin Saulsberry, Derek Sherrod and K.J. Wright are playing for the Mississippi team and Zach Smith for the Alabama team.
4) The MSU track facility has recently had a wrought iron fence installed on the north side of the facility. It's similar to the type fence that was installed around the baseball stadium and the soccer field.
5) MSU softball is currently having a 40-vehicle parking lot built directly behind the right field area. There should also be a parking area for one or two RVs in the same location.
6) Not only will the new MSU academic center have academics, but there will also be a cafeteria in it as well. It will be available for all students, not just athletes. If all goes as planned, breaking the ground for the new center should begin as early as June, 2007.
7) The priority deadline for ordering football season tickets is June 1st. Although there is no number on how many ticket orders have come in, it appears the sales are running about the same as last season.
8) Did you know that MSU assistant football coach Charlie Harbison was the best man at Ellis Johnson's wedding? And that Coach Johnson's son was named after Coach Harbison and is also his godson?
9) Within the next week or so, look for some outstanding news in regard to the way the Mississippi State athletic department handles their ticket purchasing and donor giving. It will one of a kind among BCS colleges. Although it's a cliche that's thrown around a lot, it definitely applies here - it will truly be state of the art.
10) The MSU football coaches finished the spring recruiting evaluation period this past weekend and are now hard at work looking at film of potential recruiting prospects.
11) I know some MSU folks were disappointed in the fact that the MSU men's track team finished last at the recent SEC championships, but look for MSU to come on strong at the upcoming NCAA regionals. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if MSU finished among the top 10 to 15 at the NCAA Mideast Regionals at Columbia, Missouri this coming weekend. MSU has one of the top three 800 meters runners in the nation. Their 4x4 relay team is among the top 5 in the nation. And two of their 400 hurdlers are among the top 20 in the country. Those athletes, if they run at their potential, should put MSU among the top teams at the regional and give them momentum going into the NCAA track and field championships.
Gene Swindoll is the publisher of the Dawgs' Bite, Powered by GenesPage.com website, the source for Mississippi State sports on the Scout.com sports network. You can contact him by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.