That said, Tuesday's practice finished with two-minute drills for the first and second-team offense and defenses. Both Smith and Brandon Coleman ran it well, getting down inside the 20 for a field goal. Coleman's was especially impressive with passes to Marcus Woods, Greg Bracey and Josh Barbo.
* It's time to say it: Brad Smith's reads aren't getting much better. He's still slow at finding the open man, and without the ability to run, it's turning into bad throws or simple throw-aways. Smith will always have a cap on how good he can get until he improves this part of his game.
*On an injury note, tight end Martin Rucker will not be back for the spring. He has a shoulder injury that demands surgery.
* You won't see any more notes about how Jason Ray hasn't dropped a pass yet. He dropped an easy one Tuesday, but his performance in the rest of the practices more than makes up for it.
* Kickers Alex Petterson and Pat Velten each made 42-yard field goals Tuesday, with Adam Crossett missing way wide. Crossett has also been punting.
* The play of the day goes to Damien Nash, who took a screen pass from Brad Smith for a touchdown of about 50 yards. Nash seems to have a pretty good hold on the top running back spot.
* The hit of the day goes to Derrick Ming, who simply flattened Greg Bracey after Bracey missed an overthrown ball.