While there may not be many elite level players this year, the 2005 class appears to be one of the deepest classes in years. Here is a look at my top 10 seniors of 2004 in the KC area.
1. DJ Hord 6`2" 189 WR Rockhurst 4.39 – The clear cut pick for the top prospect in KC and the entire state of Missouri. A good bet to be the top class champion in the sprint events in track come next spring, DJ is the top athlete in his class and also excels in basketball, too. His speed and soft hands should be put to good use this year with Rockhurst having a strong armed passing QB like Terry McMahon behind center. Schools: Missouri(offer), Florida, LSU, K-State(offer), Notre Dame. Hord will draw even more interest as the season goes along. Mizzou will get a visit and is in good shape having former Hawklets Temple and Redmond to help recruit.
2. Chase Coffmann 6`6" 215 TE Raymore- Peculiar 4.77 – One of the best pass catching tight ends to come out of Missouri in a long time. Chase runs well, has great hands and always seems to make the tough catch. His blocking will need work and he needs more size and strength for college, but Coffmann, who will be catching passes from his younger brother Carson this year, is a go to playmaker that any college who throws to their TE would love to have. Schools: Missouri, Iowa, K-State and Nebraska. Mizzou is in very good shape and will solidify their position with Chase if they continue to use the TE during the season as they have during camp so far.
3. James Stigall 6`3" 305 OG Blue Springs 5.1 - The top OL prospect in the state this year. Big, strong athlete with great footwork that is equally as good at protecting against the pass as he is run blocking. Has a good chance at repeating as state champion in class 5 at the dome this year with the Wildcats. Schools: Tennessee (offer), Mizzou (offer), LSU, Kansas (offer).
4. Tarell Corby 6`4" 210 DE N. Kansas City, 4.5 – The Tigers were both good and lucky to be all over Corby early. Lucky in the fact that Tarell is a longtime Tiger fan. Despite being blessed with obvious physical skills of strength and speed, Tarell Corby is a hard worker that is always trying to get better. He brings blazing speed off the edge in rushing the passer or chasing down plays from the backside. Schools: Missouri commit.
5. Allan Smith 6`3" 205 DE/LB Rockhurst 4.53 – Another explosive speed guy on the edge that disrupts opponents backfields, Smith will also play TE this year. His size could move him to LB in college, but Smith is very good athlete that could make that transition easily. Schools: Missouri, K-State, Kansas. 6. Brock Christopher 6`3" 220 LB Kearney 4.6 - This strong, physical LB first caught my attention with his tough play as a sophomore. Brock is just a good, tough football player who good also make it as a FB in college IMO. Runs well and has a nose for the ball. Schools: Missouri commit.
7. Jaron Baston 6`1" 255 LB/DT Blue Springs 4.7 – Another hardnosed player with a bit of a mean streak meant for defense. Surprised some with his athleticism at Tiger camp in KC. Will play LB/TE for the Wildcats this year, but I see him as an interior lineman down the line college. Schools: Missouri commit.
8. Mack Brown 6`3" 205 QB Shawnee Mission North 4.8 - Talented QB with a strong arm and good feel for the game. Athletic but not a true dual threat type QB. Schools: Colorado (Offer), Tulsa, Kansas.
9. Cory Meachum 6`3" 310 DT Park Hill South 5.1 – Massive kid with good quickness. Missed the summer camps trying to get in better football shape. All eyes will be on him during the season to see where he fits as far as deserving an offer. No known offers yet. Schools: Missouri, K-State, Kansas.
10. Bobby Johnson 6`3" 250 DL Westport 4.8 – Talented, tough athletic DE who dominates in his league. No known offers yet. Schools: Tulsa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma St.
Of the remaining undecided among these kids I would say that Missouri stands a good chance of landing as many as four of them depending how things go. Best bets to make decisions next would be Coffman, Smith and Brown. I think Stigall and Hord want to enjoy/explore the recruiting process more. I will take a look at KC area sleepers in an upcoming article.