Anyone who is a movie buff will know that this year promises to be one of the most loaded in Hollywood history with blockbuster after blockbuster set to hit the big screen. One of those high budget movies is the new Star Wars flick, and that particular movie is the inspiration behind the new season "trailer" promoting Navy football. Whether it is homage to Kirk, Spock, and the rest, or a genius new way to get fans pumped for the 2013 Midshipmen, it is up to you to decide. Either way it is pretty cool.
Here are a few takes from the spot:
1) Hollywood has always done an amazing job at writing and picking music for movies and trailers. In an awesome scene, the video opens with patriotic music as the Mids bring Old Glory out onto the field. It only gets better with the time lapse of the Army-Navy pregame.
2) "There's greatness in you" - If that line doesn't give you chills as a Navy fan, or a movie fan for that matter, then I feel for you.
3) The inclusion of the Obama speech is brilliant because no matter your feelings for the man it is impossible to argue the fact that his voice commands authority.
4) Training montage. Every video set to inspire needs a training montage. Just ask Rocky (or South Park).
5) I love it when highlights packages are set to dramatic, foreboding music. All those YouTube guys that set everything to rap please take note of how impactful this can be.
6) The more I see those white helmets with the anchor the more I think Navy should wear them in every game.
7) I am ready for the season now.