ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The fourth-ranked Navy lacrosse team (11-3) earned the No. 5 seed in the 2005 Div. I NCAA Men's Lacrosse Tournament and will play host to Delaware (11-5) in the first round either next Saturday or Sunday Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium at a time to be announced. Ticket prices have been set at $10 for adults and $5 for students and are on sale at the Navy ticket office or can be purchased by calling 1-800-US4-NAVY.
The Navy/Delaware winner will take on the winner of the No. 4 Virginia/Albany
contest on Saturday, May 21 at Homewood Field on the campus of Johns Hopkins
University in Baltimore, Md.
NCAA Tournament Match-Ups:
Marist (8-7) at No. 1 Johns Hopkins (12-0)
Syracuse (7-5) at No. 8 Massachusetts (12-2)
Delaware (11-5) at No. 5 Navy (11-3)
Albany (10-5) at No. 4 Virginia (9-3)
Penn State (9-5) at No. 3 Maryland (9-5)
Army (11-5) at No. 6 Georgetown (9-4)
Cornell (10-2) at No. 7 Towson (11-4)
Fairfield (11-4) at No. 2 Duke (14-2)
* Navy makes its second-consecutive appearance in the NCAA Tournament, after the Midshipmen made a run at the National Championship last season ... it's the first time since 1993 and 1994 in which Navy has made back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances.
* Navy owns a 14-21 record in the NCAA Tournament ... the Mids will make their 22nd appearance in the NCAA Tournament, the fifth most of any school in the nation ... Johns Hopkins will make its record-setting 34th trip, Maryland and Virginia make their 28th appearance, while defending National Champion Syracuse makes its 25th trip.
* Navy has never won an NCAA lacrosse championship, though it does have 17 national championships to its credit prior to the NCAA Tournament which started in 1971 ... Navy is 4-4 in opening-round games and 1-0 since the field expanded to the 16-team format ... the Midshipmen are 0-2 in championship games, losing to Maryland, 20-13, in 1975, and to Syracuse, 14-13, last Memorial Day.
* Navy leads the series against Delaware, 15-2, including a flawless 8-0 mark in games played in Annapolis ... the last contest between the two teams was March 28, 1999, with the Blue Hens claiming an 11-8 win in Newark.
* Delaware is making just its third NCAA Tournament appearance and first since 1999 ... the Blue Hens earned their inaugural bid in 1984.
* The 16th-ranked Blue Hens captured the Colonial Athletic Association regular-season title, but dropped a 9-8 decision to Towson in the conference championship last Saturday night ... Delaware, did however, defeat Towson in the regular season, 11-5, and also beat NCAA Tournament participant Albany, 18-9.