Navy Falls in Overtime to Georgetown

The back of the T-shirts worn by the Navy lacrosse team reads, "Find a Way." The Midshipmen found a way to force overtime against visiting Georgetown on Friday night despite trailing by three goals with less than minutes to play.

But Georgetown used face-off and groundball dominance to defeat the Midshipmen in overtime, 13-12, before 6,250.

Dating from 2005, the Midshipmen (5-5) are 32-2 when they score 10 or more goals. Both losses have come to the Hoyas (5-3), including an 11-10 overtime loss in 2008.

Navy trailed 12-9 following a goal by freshman Travis Comeau with 5 minutes 57 seconds to play.

But the Midshipmen scored the final three goals of regulation. Senior Brendan Connors scored following a skip pass from senior Joe Lennon to cut the deficit to 12-10 with 2:52 left.

It was 12-11 following a goal by senior Kyle Kapron on extra-man with 1:26 left. And the game went into overtime after a goal by senior longstick middie Zack Schroeder with 1:13 to play.

Georgetown junior Max Seligmann scored the winning goal on Friday night, before Navy had gained possession. Junior Brian Tabb defeated senior Robby Battle on the opening face-off and Seligmann scored on the first shot, a running 10-yard shot as he beat the short-stick defender who was guarding him.

"What's great about playing with [senior midfielders Scott Kocis and Andrew Brancaccio] is that there is so much attention paid to them," Seligmann said. "A lot of times, slides don't come or people don't switch. That's what happened. Nobody switched, I kept running downhill and fortunately I got that overhand one off."

Said Navy Coach Richie Meade: "I thought the effort, all the intangibles, the belief, it's all there. We just have to execute better in some situations. I have this feeling on the sideline that we can win every game. You may not be able to see that from the stands, but that's what I'm talking about. It's a tough game to lose. But the growth of our team has been good to see."

Navy's offensive gameplan included a lot of senior midfielder Patrick Moran. Of Navy's 20 settled possessions, Moran was in the game on 16 of them.

He finished with three goals and one assist. He also nearly made a crucial play the one time he played attack.

The Hoyas won the face-off after Schroeder's goal and called two timeouts in a long possession. With 11 seconds remaining, Kocis took a long shot that sophomore goalie R.J. Wickham saved.

Wickham then heaved the ball the length of the field and amidst a scrum of players, Moran gained possession from around 15 yards. He moved into the middle of the field but his low running shot was deflected by Georgetown senior Chris Nixon and went into senior goalie Jack Davis's stick with two seconds left.

"He is a great player and I totally understand why they want him on the field at all times," Davis said. "He has one of the better overhand bounce shots I've ever seen. ... He had a pretty good look at the end, it bounced of Chris Nixon and fortunately was sort of trickling by the time it got to me."

The Midshipmen were undone by Georgetown's freshmen, who accounted for eight goals and four assists. Freshman Travis Comeau led the way with four goals and classmate Davey Emala added three goals in his first extensive playing time this year.

Connors added three goals, junior Andy Warner had four assists and Wickham made 15 saves, including nine in the second half to keep Navy close.

Two major problems Navy had were on face-offs and groundballs. The Hoyas won 20 of 29 face-offs and had a 44-20 advantage in face-offs.

"There's not a lot you can say," Wickham said. "Our team made an awesome comeback, it's great to see that. Like coach said, we have a lot to work on on defense."

Notes: Wickham had an apparent goal disallowed with 9:04 left in the second quarter. Wickham raced the length of the field and scored past Davis but it was disallowed after the referees ruled that Navy was offside.

Television replays showed that the call was close but correct. Top Stories