Senior place-kicker/punter Alex Henery and senior I-back Roy Helu Jr. were among the most honored players at the banquet. The two players were among four seniors who were named captains for the 2010 season, joining defensive senior captains Prince Amukamara and Pierre Allen. It was the second straight season Henery was elected a team captain. The Huskers appointed game captains each week before determining season captains.
Henery was also honored as the Special Teams MVP for the third consecutive season, after another season of outstanding place-kicking and punting. Henery has become Nebraska's all-time leader scorer with 396 career points and is on track to be the most accurate place-kicker in NCAA history. Henery was also named the winner of the Guy Chamberlin Trophy, presented annually to the Husker senior who exhibits the qualities of Nebraska All-American Guy Chamberlin. The award is voted on by media members.
|Eric Hagg named the team MVP for 2010.|
Helu Jr. was named the Huskers' offensive MVP for the second straight season. Helu rushed for 1,211 yards and has become the first Nebraska player to rush for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons since 1992 and 1993. He has also moved into the top five on the Nebraska career rushing list.
Senior defensive back Eric Hagg was honored for his outstanding play and versatility as he was voted the Team MVP by his teammates. Junior linebacker Lavonte David was chosen as the Defensive MVP, after leading the Huskers in tackles with 145 stops on the season. Senior wide receiver Joe Broekemeier was chosen as the Huskers' Walk-on MVP.
Sophomore I-back Rex Burkhead was the winner of two awards, being named the program's 2010 Lifter of the Year. He was also one of three players to earn the team's character award, joining Hagg and senior linebacker Thomas Grove.
The Tom Novak Trophy was presented to senior defensive back Rickey Thenarse. The award is chosen by media members and given to the player who has had a successful Cornhusker career while overcome odds and adversity. Senior receiver Niles Paul was named the winner of the Cletus Fischer Native Son Award, given annually to a senior Husker who is a native Nebraskan. The winners of the Chamberlin, Novak and Native Son awards will also be honored at the Outland Trophy banquet in Omaha on Thursday, Jan. 13.
Several other Husker players were honored at the banquet which also celebrated Nebraska's second straight 10-win season and its Big 12 North Division crown. The Huskers are preparing for a Dec. 30 appearance in the Holiday Bowl, where Nebraska will attempt to win 11 games for the 13th time in school history.
- Full List of Award Winners:
- 2010 Team Captains— Roy Helu Jr. (Offensive), Prince Amukamara (Defensive), Pierre Allen (Defensive), Alex Henery (Special Teams)
- Team MVP – Eric Hagg
- Special Teams MVP – Alex Henery
- Offensive MVP – Roy Helu Jr.
- Defensive MVP – Lavonte David
- Guy Chamberlin Trophy- Alex Henery
- Tom Novak Trophy – Rickey Thenarse
- Fischer Native Son Award –Niles Paul
- Walk-on MVP – Joe Broekemeier
- Lifter of the Year – Rex Burkhead
- Character Award – Rex Burkhead, Eric Hagg, Thomas Grove
- Pat Clare Award – Ricky Henry
- Bobby Reynolds Award – Adi Kunalic
- Scout Team Offensive MVP – Kenny Bell, Yusef Wade
- Scout Team Defensive MVP – Colin McDermott
- Burnell Student Manager Scholarships – Tanner Dunbar and Paul Belz