Huskers Hold Off the Sooners

Brandon Ubel scored four of his nine points in decisive 7-0 spurt, while Cade Davis' basket with five seconds left was ruled a 2-pointer as Nebraska picked up an important 59-58 road win at Oklahoma Wednesday evening.

The Huskers (17-8, 5-6 Big 12) trailed 47-46 before Ubel keyed the run with back-to-back baskets to give NU a 50-47 lead before Lance Jeter hit a 3-pointer from the wing to give the Huskers a 53-47 lead.

Oklahoma (12-13, 4-7 Big 12) would come right back, as Steven Pledger was fouled on a 3-point attempt and hit all three shots before the guard tied the game at 53 with a 3-pointer with 3:21 left. It was the last of eight ties, as teams were within six point for all 40 minutes.

Jorge Brian Diaz, who scored a season-high 17 points in the win, gave Nebraska the lead for good at 54-53, splitting a pair of free throws with 2:23 remaining. The Huskers came up with two defensive stops before Jeter drove the baseline and found a cutting Toney McCray for a layup to put NU up 56-53 with 44.8 seconds left. After a missed 3-pointer, Ubel split a 1-and-1 to put NU ahead by four points with 23 seconds remaining.

The Sooners would make one last run, as Carl Blair's 3-point play with 17 seconds left made it a one-point game. Jeter then hit a pair of free throws to extend the lead to three and give OU one final chance. Davis hit a shot from the wing with five seconds left that seemingly tied the game, but the officials ruled it was a 2-pointer. With both teams thinking the score was tied, the Huskers got the ball to midcourt and tried an attempt, but it was after the buzzer.

The officials then huddled to review Davis' 3-pointer, but the crew ruled his foot was on the line, sending the Huskers into celebration, ending a 13-game conference road losing streak and giving Nebraska its first win in Norman since 1999.

Diaz, who also matched a career high with three blocked shots, was one of three Huskers in double figures. McCray finished with 12 points, including 10 in the second half, while Caleb Walker added 10 points and six rebounds as Nebraska shot 52 percent in the win.

In the first half, the Huskers relied on the inside game of Diaz, who hit all five of his shots from the floor en route scoring 12 first-half points. Diaz his all five shots in the opening nine minutes to help the Huskers to an early 13-10 advantage. The Sooners would come right back with five straight points of their own, including a Pledger 3-pointer to give the Sooners a two-point lead.

The Huskers trailed 27-22 after a 3-point play by Fitzgerald with 2:12 left in the half, but the Huskers finished the half strong, as baskets by Walker and Drake Beranek pulled the Huskers within one point at the break.

Fitzgerald led Oklahoma with 15 points, as three Sooners finished in double figures.

Nebraska regained the lead in the opening minutes of the second half as a Diaz jumper and a Jeter reverse layup gave the Huskers a 3-point lead at 30-27, but OU came right back with four straight to regain the lead at 31-30 and the teams traded points until McCray's 3-pointer put the Huskers up 40-37. Davis tied the score at 40-all with a long 3-pointer and neither team was able to seize control until NU's 7-0 spurt.

The Huskers return to action Saturday afternoon, as Nebraska hosts No. 3/2 Texas at 12:30 p.m.

Big Red Report Top Stories