Typical first-day chatter..
From Coach Bo Pelini: "The tempo was pretty good, the effort was great, guys were flying around. I think they were pretty excited about to be out there. I think we got a lot done. It was a typical first day. I saw a lot of good things and saw a lot of mental mistakes, things we need to get cleared up. All in all it was a good day."
We'll, at least he didn't oversleep:
Day one in the book and today's Nebraska practice actually had a little more drama than probably expected.
The biggest news of the day was Bubba Starling's absence. The two-sport star did not sign a contract with the Royals like some in the media assumed at first, but will not practice with the team until a decision on his future is made.
For more about Bubba you click here: http://nebraska.scout.com/2/1092880.html
Bo Pelini shared the roster is currently at 103, with two spots lefts open. One of them is Bubba Starling's, if the freshman decides to forgo millions of dollars to play college football.
One bubble player on the 105 - Lincoln Southeast product David Sutton. Pelini said Sutton had a "great" first day.
Not on the 105 – senior cornerback Marcus Mendoza, junior tight end Lester Ward, junior running back Collins Okafor, and sophomore cornerback Lazarri Middleton. Not good news for these players, but it means the talent is running deep in Lincoln.
The staff decided to have some music going at least for the first part of practice the media was allowed to go into.
Playing while the offense was trying to work on their fast pace style of attack, it's thought it will help in the future with opposing road crowds.
"There is always a method to what we do. It's not just about having fun out there…That(road games) is obviously why it's being done, we will see how it goes," said Pelini.
Jamal Turner still possibly a quarterback down the road?
In a move we didn't necessarily predict happening this year, freshman athlete Jamal Turner took some snaps at quarterback today.
"Jamal is a multi-talented guy. He's a receiver first, but we are working him some at quarterback. The same plan that we had earlier this spring," said Bo Pelini.
Would he be the team's third option if the injury bug bites down the road?
• Marcel Jones is day-to-day with an undisclosed injury.
• Max Pirman lined up at buck linebacker today, instead of tight end liked predicted in the media guide.
* Mike Marrow practiced with the team, even though he's not been ruled eligible yet by the NCAA. "I don't want to comment until we get a final ruling, but he's out there practicing, so we feel pretty good about where that is headed." – Bo Pelini
• No change in incoming freshman Charles Jackson's eligibility, still waiting.
* Junior college transfers Daimion Stafford and Joseph Carter pass the eye test. "They have a ways to go yet, but showed they are talented players. " – Bo Pelini
• Former Husker and Kansas City Chief defensive back Eric Warfield has joined the team as a student assistant.