LINCOLN, Neb. – The Nebraska football spent a little over two hours practicing on Saturday morning, the first of 15 spring practices over the next month. Players wore helmets, but will not be in full pads for nearly a week.
"I thought it was pretty smooth. Not a lot of drama," said head coach Mike Riley. "We did a lot of installation and teaching." http://www.scout.com/college/nebraska/story/1648743-first-look-john-parr...
The coaching staff split their time over multiple areas on the team during the session.
"Our goal for spring practice is to be fundamentally and technically sound," said Riley. "If you can learn good technique, we can plug it into stuff in games."
Former three-star quarterback Zack Darlington has moved from quarterback to inside wide receiver. Darlington is up 10 to 12 pounds since last season.
"Zack and I have been talking for a while about something like this," said Riley. "What he's looking for is an opportunity and what we are looking for is the placement of a guy who's a really good athlete that can find a niche."
* The following players did not participate due to injury: De’Mornay Pierson-El (leg), Mick Stoltenberg (knee), Kevin Williams (undisclosed), Antonio Reed (undisclosed), Aaron Williams (undisclosed)
* Defensive coordinator Mark Banker is now coaching the safeties instead of Brian Stewart. The defensive backs are split into separate film groups.
* Nebraska will hold a junior day next Saturday at this point we are hearing 15 to 25 players will be in attendance, with a mix between scholarship prospects and local Nebraska kids.
* First team offensive lineman: LT.) Nick Gates, LG.) D.J. Foster, C.) Dylan Utter, RG.) Paul Thurston, RT.) David Knevel.
* Second team offensive lineman: LT.) Christian Gaylord, LG.) Corey Whitaker, C.) Michael Decker, RG.) Tanner Farmer, RT.) Sam Hahn.
* Farmer has lost 40 pounds and hopes his slimmer frame will give him more push up front.
* Alonzo Moore worked with Brandon Reilly and Jordan Westerkamp as the first-team wide receivers. In addition, running back Terrell Newby worked with the first-team.
* Early enrollee wide receiver Derrion Grim definitely looks the part and had a good first day of practice, working with the second team offense.
* Second team redshirt freshman cornerback Eric Lee had a solid day of practice behind Chris Jones and Joshua Kalu.