Overtime Thriller in Lincoln

On Saturday, the Nebraska Cornhuskers and the Oklahoma State Cowboys met up at the Devaney Center in a battle of two 12-5 teams, each looking for an identity of their own.

The game came down to a intentionally missed free throw shot in overtime by Ryan Anderson, a designed play in which the Huskers used to attempt to tie the game.

‘It worked," Anderson said after the game. "We got the rebound with 3 seconds, but we have to take acceptance for the things that happened on the court."

Cookie Miller was blunt and to the point: "I'd rather lose the game by fifty than lose by two in overtime. It's a hard loss."

Miller started the game off with a three pointer that bounced off the back of the rim, up about seven feet in the air, and falling right back into the basket, followed by a quick steal to score the game's first five points.

The Huskers defense kept the team in the game early, but after blowing a 9-2 lead on a 12-3 run by the Cowboys, the Huskers found themselves in a bit of a hole near the end of the first half. Shooting less than 50% from the field at home is not going to win many games.

Oklahoma State was able to take a two point lead into halftime over the Huskers who were able to narrow a seven point margin to close the half.

In a very back and forth second half, the referees made some very questionable calls, including a personal foul on Paul Velander when he blocked a shot which helped Oklahoma State maintain their small margin of a lead. It seemed the second the Huskers would tie the game, Oklahoma State would drive the court to take another lead and get a call for them to boot.

As the time was dwindling down, the back and forth action continued. Shots really did not fall for either team, but the referee's seemed to like keeping Oklahoma State in this game. Poor and sketchy calls were the story against the Huskers on Saturday.

At the end of regulation, the score was 66-66 after the Huskers clawed their way back to a tie and blocked an Oklahoma State shot at the buzzer.

In overtime, the play was still very back and forth with neither team stopping each other. Nearly all of the Husker's overtime points came from free throws, a completely different story from Wednesday night against Oklahoma. The Huskers were 27-30 free throws on the night, a stat that would have beaten the Sooners.

It wasn't to be on Saturday either. Despite the free throw shooting, Nebraska couldn't get the calls they needed to win this game down the stretch and OSU took home a hard-fought 76-74 road win.


Big Red Report Top Stories