- Head Coach Bo Pelini said after practice today that senior offensive lineman Mike Smith broke his leg yesterday. He said it was a clean break, so he's expected to recover fully. The situation obviously allows for the possibility of Smith applying for a medical hardship. Pelini said that would be between Smith and his family as to whether or not he wanted to do that. But Pelini said that he expects that he would.
- Replacing Smith is junior Luke Lingenfelter, who suited up in just a helmet today per the acclimation period he'll have to go through before he can go in full pads like the team did today for the first time this Fall session. Lingenfelter came to Nebraska Plainview HS (Plainview, NE) as a defensive line, but switched to offensive line before last year. He saw some time against Florida Atlantic and Louisiana-Lafayette.
- Junior offensive tackle Jermarcus Hardrick missed practiced for a second day, still recovering from an ailment suffered two days ago due to the heat. Coach Pelini said that Hardrick is feeling good, but they are just waiting for the doctors to give him the OK to return. Pelini said that he could be back as early as tomorrow.
- In regard to the heat Pelini said that coming inside was good for the team, because while they could practice in the heat, he didn't feel it would serve anyone's best interests in the end. "It's pretty ridiculous out there. You beat your team down if you are out there too much. It can be extreme and put guys in danger," he said. "You don't want to do that. It hurts concentration. It effects your practice. You want to them to get work, but you want them to be fresh too."
- Bo remains mum on the quarterback situation as he indicated that the only situation is that nobody is the number one guy. He reiterated that the three-way battle is just that and nothing has been even close to resolved. He also added that this competition could go on for a long time, if they felt that's what they needed to find the right guy. He also said that when they knew how the starting QB was, everyone else would know shortly thereafter.
- Also not practicing today was junior corner Anthony Blue and freshman wide receiver Kenny Bell.
- Taking reps at the number two tackle spot on the left side in Hardrick's absence has been redshirt freshman Jesse Coffey.
- The team resumes practice tomorrow and will conduct their first two-a-days on Friday and then continue practices until Sunday where they will get their second day off this Fall session.
Practice Notes - Mike Smith done for the year
Post Practice Audio