MWC Power Rankings – Week 4
1. Boise State (Last week 2) – I had a hard time finding a reason to not put the Broncos as the number 1 team this week after their drubbing of Virginia (in Virginia) 56-14. If the Broncos win out they should get another access bowl spot. You hear that sound Wolf Pack fans? That’s the sound of money coming our way!
2. Air Force (1) – The Falcons did not play last week and because of Boise’s performance are supplanted as the number 1 team. But, if there’s a team in the Mountain West that can take down Boise, it’s the Falcons.
3. San Jose State (6) – The Spartans took the Bulldogs behind the woodshed and beat them senseless last week. They’re my new favorite to win the West division, well for this week at least.
4. Nevada (4) – The Wolf Pack went to Buffalo and took care of business. Was it pretty? No. The game was the perfect trap game, nestled comfortably between Texas A&M and UNLV. The Pack was able to get it done on the road.
5. Hawaii (3) – The Warriors had another difficult game against Wisconsin, in Madison and suffered their second shutout of the year. But, it’s hard to argue with only giving up 28 points on the road to a top 25 team. Hawaii is improved, how much will be determined in MWC play.
6. Utah State (5) – The Aggies did not play last week and suffered a drop in the rankings because of San Jose State’s jump. Sorry Aggies.
7. UNLV (10) – The Rebels beat up on helpless Idaho State last week. But their offensive production shouldn’t be over looked. Nor should the fact Idaho State was “softened” up by Boise State the week before.
8. Colorado State (9) – The Rams went on the road and beat UTSA. I don’t know if UTSA is improved or not but they are tough at home so that counts.
10. San Diego State (11) – The Aztecs went to Penn State and walked out with a 37-21 loss. Of course Penn State is a “power” 5 program but they aren’t very good. The Aztecs trailed 27-21 in the 3rd quarter but never got any closer.
11. Fresno State (8) – How the mighty have fallen. The two time West Division winner is reeling right now. Will the bleeding stop?
12. Wyoming (12) – LOL