Not sure if this has been touched on a whole lot but I made it out to Apodaca Park the last couple of nights to watch the Las Cruces Vaqueros take on the Roswell Invaders and thought I would share a couple of things.
1. The games are really entertaining and Apodaca Park looks great. I'm a season ticket holder to Diablo Baseball in El Paso, and even though Cohen as a stadium offers much more, the field at Apodaca was amazing. They do a good job of getting kids and families involved.
2. The quality is surprisingly good, especially the pitching. There was a scout for the Diamondbacks at the game watching an Invaders player, and he said he is in charge of scouting the Southwest region for the Diamondbacks. One interesting thing he told me was that the pitching in the Pecos League is probably petter than the AAIPB, where the Diablos play. Looking on the Pecos League website, a player for the White Sands Pupfish was signed to a contract by the Diamondbacks earlier this season.
3. The uniforms for every single team is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. The logos, uniforms, hats, everything is incredible looking, and you can tell the Pecos League has put a premium on marketing and I honestly think NMSU could learn a thing or two on how to brand their apparel well.
4. Watching teams from Ruidoso, Roswell, Alamo, Carlsbad, LC, and Alpine is just plain fun and exciting because everyone in the region can travel to away games. It makes me really wish NMSU, UNM, and UTEP were in the same league because its that much more interesting when you know a little bit about where you opponant is from, have spent time there, and can easily travel there.
5. Finally, I spoke with the front office for the Pecos League and said they will be adding up to 6 more teams for 2012 all across New Mexico, Colorado, and West Texas, and split into two divisions for travel purposes. This is shaping up to be a great New Mexico based baseball league with respectable quality, and a respect for geography. Anyone in the area should really take a visit to their local team when they play and show their support. Playoffs start soon.