G- 12 Terrell Stoglin (21.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg)
G- 21 Pe'Shon Howard (7.3 ppg, 4.5 apg)
F- 14 Sean Mosley (10.2 ppg, 5.2 rpg)
F- 35 James Padgett (8.9 ppg, 6.2 rpg)
C- 25 Alex Len (14.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg)
Terrell Stoglin -- The ACC's leading Scorer, Stoglin is explosive and can put up points in a hurry. He is the sixth-leading scorer in the NCAA, averaging 21.2 points per game. Look for NC State's Lorenzo Brown and C.J. Williams to try and slow him down.
Maryland enters a hostile environment for the first time in the 2011-12 season when it travels to NC State for a Sunday Night battle in Raleigh. The game is the Atlantic Coast Conference opener for both teams. The Terrapins have played four games away from Comcast Center this season, but all have been neutral-site matchups (three in San Juan, P.R.; one in Washington, D.C., at Verizon Center).
• Head coach Mark Turgeon makes his ACC debut also against the Wolfpack with a team that has played just three games with its full complement of players. Sophomore point guard Pe'Shon Howard has played in four games after returning from a broken left foot and 7-foot-1 center Alex Len has played in three games since coming off a 10-game NCAA suspension due to amateurism guidelines.
• The Terrapins are coming off a perfect December than spilled into a seven-game winning streak with their 70-62 victory over Cornell last Tuesday. A win over the Wolfpack would give Maryland its first eight-game winning streak since the Terps opened the 2006-07 season with an 8-0 start.
• Sophomore guard Terrell Stoglin continues to lead the ACC in scoring, now with a 21.2 ppg average. Stoglin, who enters the weekend sixth in the nation in scoring, is the only player in the league averaging over 20 points per game and is the only ACC player with two 30-point games this season. He also has a league=best nine 20-point games this year.
• Senior guard Sean Mosley led Maryland against Cornell on Tuesday with a strong effort. He scored 19 points, grabbed six rebounds, dished out two assists and had two steals in a 28-minute start. He hit 6 of 9 from the floor and was one of three Terps who were 5-for-6 from the foul line.
MILESTONES, STREAKS, ETC...
The Terps are 85-8 (.914) in non-conference games in Comcast Center, with the loss to Illinois (11/29) snapping a 13-game winning streak... Prior to the Illinois game, Maryland's last loss in a non-conference home game was on 12/30/2009 in an 83-77 defeat to William & Mary... Maryland is 25-2 (.926) in its last 27 non-conference home games.
• Maryland is hitting .693 from the foul line during its 7-game winning streak, including a season-best .783 mark with an 18-for-23 effort last time out against Cornell... Stoglin is at .795 FT% during the streak; Mosley .792; Parker .750; Howard .818.
• Maryland has been strong on the boards during the 7-game streak, out-rebounding its opponents 275-206... Put another way, Maryland is out-boarding opponents by an average of 10 per game through the streak.
• Sean Mosley has reached 900 points for his career (909 after the 19 points vs. Cornell)... A start Sunday vs. NC State would be the 90th of his career (T23rd all-time at Maryland) and he is 14 rebounds away from becoming the 40th Terrapin in history to reach 500 career rebounds.
• Maryland's last losing season came in 1992-93, the last season of devastating NCAA sanctions levied against previous staffs at Maryland... Each school in the ACC has had a losing season since the Terps fell below .500 some 19 seasons ago... In fact, 9 of the 11 ACC opponents have suffered through a losing season since the Terps won the NCAA title in 2002... Duke and UNC are the exceptions.
STOGLIN'S SCORING SURGE
Guard Terrell Stoglin turned playing time into points late last season for the Terrapins, earning ACC All-Freshman Team honors.
• Stoglin currently leads the ACC in scoring at 21.2 points per game... He is the only ACC player currently averaging more than 20 points per game... C.J. Harris of Wake Forest is second at 18.7 ppg... Stoglin was also 6th in the nation in scoring through last games of Thursday, 1/5/12.
• Stoglin has scored in double figures in 12 of his 13 games, including 9 (five straight) in which he's passed the 20-point mark... He has 13 20-point games in his career... Stoglin has two 30-point games this season, including a career-high 32 in the win over Colorado at the 5-hour Energy Puerto Rico Tip-Off... He is the only player in the ACC thus far with two 30-point games.
• Stoglin has done much of his scoring at the free-throw line this season, hitting 71 of 93 (.763)... Maryland's next highest scorer at the FT line is James Padgett with 30...He hit 12 of 21 at the line against Florida Gulf Coast, one of three games in which he's had double figures in made FTs.
• Stoglin hit 6 3-pointers recently in back-to-back games (6-for-11 vs. Albany, 6-for-8 vs. Samford) and has hit 14 of 24 (.583) in the last 3 games... He ranks among ACC leaders in 3-pointers per game (2.3) and 3-point percentage (.417).
• Stoglin finished on a number of Maryland freshman lists last year: 5th in points (376), 7th in FGA (285), 6th in 3FG (33), T5th in 3FGA (92), 6th in FT (81) and 8th in FTA (98).
• With his 10-for-10 effort at the line last season at Virginia Tech (2/15/11), Stoglin became the 18th Terrapin in history to have a perfect night at the line with at least 10 attempts.
• Stoglin earned back-to-back ACC Rookie of the Week honors last year on 2/21 and 2/28... He had 28 points against North Carolina (11-for-20 FG, 6-for-7 FT), the most by a Terrapin last season.
• Stoglin is the second-leading scorer all-time among big schools in Arizona state high school history, behind only NBA star Mike Bibby.
PADGETT CONTINUES IMPROVEMENT
Junior forward James Padgett came to Maryland with a knack for offensive rebounding and finishing around the basket. Both those skills are evident in the early-going:
• Of his 81 rebounds this season, 53 (65 percent) have come on the offensive end... His 4.1 offensive boards per game currently lead the ACC (Tyler Zeller, UNC, 3.7 rpg).
• Padgett posted his first career double-double at Verizon Center against Notre Dame with 11 points and 10 rebounds... It was his fourth straight game with double figures in scoring.
• Padgett had career-highs in points (16), FT (6) and FTA (9) against Illinois, going 5-for-9 from the floor and 6-for-9 at the line.
• Padgett scored 11 points in only 15 minutes against Florida Gulf Coast, going 4-for-5 from the floor and 3-for-4 at the line.
• He is 4th on the team in scoring at 8.9 ppg, while averaging only 22.7 minutes per game.
• Padgett is second on the team behind Alex Len (8.0 rpg in 3 games) in rebounding average at 6.2 rpg, 13th in the ACC... He has at least five rebounds in all but two games this season.
PANKEY FINALLY HEALTHY
Forward Ashton Pankey is finally healthy after missing part of his senior season of high school (St. Anthony, N.J.) and all but three minutes of his freshman year at Maryland with a leg injury... He received a medical waiver from the NCAA to get a year back after playing in just the season-opener for the Terrapins a year ago:
• Pankey is fourth on the team in rebounding with a 5.2 average, which is 22nd in the ACC.
• Pankey had two games in double-figure rebounding in Maryland's first five, with his 11 against Iona marking the most by a Terrapin so far this year... He also had 10 rebounds against Alabama.
• Pankey had 13 points and eight rebounds in the season-opener against UNCW... He also had 13 points, five boards and a steal in 20 minutes off the bench against the Mount...
• Pankey scored 11 of his 13 points against FIU in the second half after taking three stitches to close a cut lip... He also had six rebounds, two steals and two crucial final-minute blocks to preserve the win.
• He led the Terps with 17 points in 24 minutes against Radford, getting a career-high in points and marking the first time he led Maryland in scoring in a game.
Sophomore Mychal Parker had his best game as a Terrapin against Notre Dame (12/4)... Parker had career-highs in points (9) and rebounds (7) against the Irish... He surpassed his career-high on the boards with 8 against Radford... He averages 4.9 points and 3.9 rebounds in 20.8 minutes per game this year ... Parker had clutch FTs late in two December wins, hitting a pair with 4 seconds left vs. Notre Dame to turn a five-point lead to seven, and two with 14 seconds left vs. Mount St. Mary's to extend a one-point lead to three.
• Sophomore John Auslander had 20 minutes off the bench against Florida Gulf Coast and played well, scoring 6 points with a board and an assist.
• Senior center Berend Weijs made his first Maryland start against Florida Gulf Coast and made four straight afterwards before coming off the bench vs. FIU... Weijs tied his career-high with 7 points in 21 minutes against Notre Dame and set his career-high on the boards with six... Weijs had 3 blocks each in back-to-back games vs. Radford and Albany.
• Walk-on guard Jonathan Thomas is 2-for-8 behind the arc and 3-for-4 at the foul line, scoring 13 points in 5.9 minutes per game for the Terps.
Maryland athletics contributed to this report.