This only the 12th meeting between the Wolfpack and the Eagles in a series that dates back to 1968. NC State is 3-8 all-time against BC.
• The Eagles captured last year's meeting in Chestnut Hill, 75-66.
• NC State has won the last two games at the RBC Center vs. BC.
• A victory would give the Wolfpack its third ACC win, a mark it didn't reach last season until an 80-55 win at Wake (2/13/11), it's 10th ACC contest.
• Head coach Mark Gottfried has never coached against a Boston College team.
• Mark Gottfried became the first NC State head coach to win his first ACC road game with a decisive 76-40 victory at Wake Forest last Saturday.
• The 36-point margin of victory was the second largest ACC road win since the Pack defeated Clemson by 40 points in 1954.
• Scott Wood is 41-of-41 from the line this year and has hit a school record 51 straight dating back to last year. He is three shy of tying Duke J.J. Redick for the ACC all-time make for consecutive free throws.
• Wood leads the ACC in 3-point field goal percentage (.433) and 3-pointers made (45, 2.6 per game). His streak of 15 consecutive games with a made 3-pointer is the longest in the conference.
• NC State is the only ACC program to list two guards in the assist/ turnover ratio. Lorenzo Brown is third in the conference (2.3) and Alex Johnson is tied for fourth (2.0). Brown also leads the ACC in steals (1.9) and is second in assists (6.7).
• NC State has the top free-throw percentage (.755) and its offensive output (76.9 ppg) trails only UNC and Duke among ACC teams.
• The Pack is only ACC program with five players listed among league's scoring leaders. Each player is averaging 12 points or better per game.
• In State's first three ACC games, the Pack is forcing 15.3 turnovers per game.The Pack has converted those turnovers to 60 points, while its opponents have only scored 27 points off NC State turnovers.
• The Pack's strength of schedule is 30th according to Collegerpi. com (as of 1/18/12) and its NCAA RPI is 58th.
• The ACC has the fourth best RPI according to Collegerpi.com.
GOTTFRIED VERSUS BOSTON COLLEGE
This is NC State coach Mark Gottfried's first time coaching against Boston College.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
Boston College is in its second season under the guidance of head coach Steve Donahue. BC enters Thursday's contest with 7-10 record (2-1 ACC) and is 2-3 in its last five games. In its last outing, the Eagles defeated Virginia Tech, 61-59, last Saturday at home. BC also upended Clemson at home with 59-57 victory on Jan. 12.
The Eagles are led by Matt Humphrey, Patrick Heckmann, Dennis Clifford and Ryan Anderson. Humphrey is BC's leading scorer, averaging 10.1 points per game. Heckman is scoring at a clip of 9.9 points per outing, while Clifford and Anderson are contributing 9.8 and 9.6 points per contest respectively. Anderson is the Eagles top rebounder, pulling down 6.3 boards per game.
HISTORY-MAKING ROAD VICTORY
With the win at Wake Forest, Mark Gottfried became the first coach in school history to win his first ACC road game. The seven previous coaches that coached in the ACC all lost their first road contest in conference play.
HISTORY-MAKING ROAD VICTORY - PART 2
The 36-point margin of victory the Pack recorded against the Demon Deacons was the second largest margin it has posted in an ACC road win since defeating Clemson by 40 (112-72) in 1954.
ON THE DEFENSE
From a defensive standpoint, the 40 points that NC State held Wake Forest to were the fewest since holding Maryland to 28 in the 1982 ACC Tournament.
THE WOLFPACK PARTICIPATES IN ESPN ALL-ACCESS
The NC State basketball program gave an all-access pass to an ESPN crew on Tuesday for a behind-the-scenes look at life off the court for the Pack. The half-hour special will air Wednesday, Jan. 25, on ESPNU at 6 p.m.
TURNOVERS TO POINTS
In its first three ACC games, the Pack has forced its opponents to commit an average of 15.3 turnovers per game. Over that span, NC State has converted its opponent's miscues into 60 points. Conversely, the Wolfpack is only averaging 11.5 turnovers per contest and has only allowed the opposition to score 27 points off its turnovers.
STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE
Upon his hiring, head coach Mark Gottfried looked to improve the Pack's strength of schedule. With a slate that already featured top-ranked Syracuse and No. 11 Indiana, Gottfried added teams like Vanderbilt, Texas and Stanford, his goal of bolstering the Pack's strength of schedule was achieved. NC State's current SOS is 30th according to Collegerpi.com (as of 1/18/12).
WOOD FROM THREE
Junior forward Scott Wood is shooting 43 percent (45-of-104) from 3-point range this season. He leads the ACC in 3-point field goal percentage and is first in 3-point field goals made (2.6 made per game). In wins over Elon and Morehead State, Wood made five 3-pointers.
Wood's 15-game streak with a made 3 pointer is currently the longest active stretch in the ACC. His 180 made three pointers are fourth most in the conference among active players.
WOOD AT THE LINE
Junior Scott Wood is 41-of-41 from the line this year, including 8-for-8 in the win over St. Bonaventure. Wood's streak extends back to last season when he followed a missed attempt against Virginia Tech with two made free throws to end the game. Wood finished the year hitting ten straight from the line, extending his streak to 51- of-51 from the line.
His 6-of-6 showing in the Maryland victory helped him surpass Rodney Monroe's prior top mark of 43 consecutive made free throws set from 1990-91. Wood's streak is currently second all time in ACC history behind Duke's J.J. Reddick, who holds the league's all time record with 54 consecutive made free throws (2003-04).
The NCAA record for consecutive free throws made in a season is 73 by Gary Buchanan of Villanova (Nov. 21, 2000- Feb. 12, 2001) over 21 games.
The career mark is 85 by Butler's Darnell Archey, Butler (Feb. 21, 2001- Jan.18, 2003) over a 57-game span.
WHAT BROWN DOES FOR STATE
Lorenzo Brown not only is on of the best distributors of the ball in the ACC, but he also one of the league's top performers in several categories . His 1.9 steals per game rank lead in the ACC and he is averaging 12.9 points per game (15th ACC) and 6.7 assists per contest (2nd ACC, 7th nationally). Brown's 2.3 assist/turnover ratio is third best among ACC players. Against Syracuse, Brown recorded a career-best 13 assists and notched his first career double-double with 10 points.
In Thursday's 87-81 win over Campbell, Brown posted a career-high 24 points. His eight steals against UNC Asheville is tops among ACC players this season.
HOWELL SNAGS CAREER REBOUND 500
In the Pack's at Wake Forest, Richard Howell grabbed his 500th rebound against the Demon Deacons. He now has pulled down 501 boards during his NC State career.
STEPPING UP HIS GAME
C.J. Williams is one of the league's most improved players in terms of scoring. Last year, Williams averaged 4.7 points per game (ppg). This season he is averaging 12.2 ppg, a net improvement of +7.5 ppg. Williams only trails Maryland's Terrell Stoglin (+9.8). Stoglin has improved his scoring from 11.4 ppg to 21.3 ppg.
CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARDS
Junior forward Richard Howell leads the Wolfpack in rebounding with an average of 9.3 boards per game. He currently ranks third in the ACC in rebounding average behind UNC's John Henson (9.7 rpg) and Duke's Mason Plumlee (9.5 rpg).
HOWELL IN THE ACC SUPERLATIVES
Richard Howell has posted a pair of performances that rank him among the league's best this year. Howell's 17 rebounds against Campbell is tied for the best showing on the boards in the conference this year. Howell shares the mark with North Carolina's John Henson, who logged 17 boards against Wisconsin on Nov. 30. His 85 percent (11-of-13) shooting display versus Morehead State is the second-best performance by a ACC player this season.
I'LL HAVE A DOUBLE-DOUBLE, PLEASE
Richard Howell's career- and season-high streak of double-doubles ended at four. During stretch, he averaged 13.8 points and 13.8 rebounds over the streak. If Howell had registered another double-double versus the Terps, he would have become the first State player since Kenny Carr in 1976-77 season, to log five straight double-doubles.
BROWN SCORES 500TH CAREER POINT
In the Pack's loss to Georgia Tech, Lorenzo Brown scored his 500th career point. He now has 501 career points.
LESLIE SCORES 500TH CAREER POINT
In the Pack's victory over Maryland, C.J. Leslie scored his 500th career point. He now has 507 career points.