"I'm not thinking about it much right now," Schaeffer told StateFans. "I'm only concerned with Glades Central, who we play on Friday. This is my final season of high school ball and I want to have the best season I can. The colleges will be there in the end and that's when my focus will really turn to recruiting."
Brent had an outstanding junior season, passing for 2,600 yards and 31 touchdowns while also rushing for another 15 scores. His athleticism and dual-threat capabilities have landed him some strong offers early on.
"Some schools I am looking at are Notre Dame, Iowa State, N.C. State, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Purdue, Iowa, and South Florida. Those have all offered me written scholarships and so I'm going to get to know each program better because they've shown that they want me."
Schaeffer has set up one visit, but definitely plans on visiting two others.
"I've set up my first official visit to Iowa State, but I don't remember the date. I know it's after the season though. I'm also going to visit Notre Dame and N.C. State for sure."
Fully qualified with a 3.2 GPA and an acceptable SAT score, Brent acknowledges that academics are going to be a factor in his decision. He likes what he's seen from the Fighting Irish when it comes to education, among other things.
"They have great academics, strong traditions, and I like the offense they run. The coaches are cool and it's just a good school."
Schaeffer says that he received his Wolfpack offer a couple of months ago, and he has several strong connections to the NC State program.
"N.C. State FED-EXed me an offer a couple of months ago. It's an official letter saying that you have a firm offer by maintaining certain requirements."
"I like the coaches at NC State and their offensive system. It's a good school too. Also I know a lot of the players up there. Sterling Hicks is my cousin, Tramain Hall used to play at Deerfield Beach, and I know Greg Golden from when I played at St. Thomas Aquinas as a freshman."
After taking all of his visits, look for a decision closer to signing day, or could he make one sooner?
"Well, for now the plan is to decide near signing day, but if I feel ready to commit after visiting a school then that's what I'll do. There's no reason in holding off just to do so."