Nickname- Manny Long Legs or Stretch
6-5, 220 pounds
Eastern Wayne High School, Goldsboro, NC
- As a sophomore, Lawson tallied 53 total tackles including seven tackles for loss and three sacks. He also had three pass breakups and two blocked punts.
- Selected as most valuable specialist for NC State as both a freshman and sophomore
High School Accolades
- high school conference defensive player of the year
- two star prospect and No. 20 player in NC by SuperPrep magazine
- WR coach John "Doc" Holliday
- Very few had heard of Manny Lawson when he graduated from Eastern Wayne High School in 2002. It didn't take long for observers to realize that Lawson was one of the conference's most dynamic athletes after he led the nation with three blocked punts in 2002. Tall, rangy and fast, Lawson settled in as the SLB this past season but may not have lived up to the lofty expectations of fans. He was eventually moved to DE for the Tangerine Bowl and had his most productive outing of the year- tallying eight tackles and one tackle for loss. Lawson stayed at DE opposite freshman all-american DE Mario Williams for spring practice and thrived. If he can add some bulk and maintain his speed and agility, Lawson could be a player to look out for in 2004- especially with opposing defenses paying so much attention to Williams.
- with several talented DE's in the conference, landing all-acc honors could be tough. However, given Lawson's speed, agility and quickness- he could be a sleeper for such awards later in the year.