Sophomore Defensive Tackle
6-2, 289 pounds
Randolph Henry High School, Drakes Branch, Va
- McCargo had a superb freshman season, collecting 52 tackles- including 14 tackles for loss, three sacks and 16 QB hurries.
- In 2003 McCargo was in on 711 plays. He recorded a tackle or QB hurry on 10% of the plays (68).
- Freshman all-american (second team) by The Sporting News
- Freshman all-american (first team) by CollegeFootballNews.com
- all-conference honorable mention
- named NC State's most valuable lineman
High School Accolades
-named all-state for both offense and defense as a senior
-two star prospect
-No. 81 player in Virginia by The Roanoke Times
- RB coach Dick Portee
-When DT John McCargo committed to NC State in January of 2002 most scratched their head and wondered just who this Virginia athlete was. After a red-shirt year, McCargo exploded onto the scene in 2003 and quickly emerged as the Wolfpack's top defensive lineman. Quick and extremely strong, McCargo is outstanding at plugging the middle and has the speed to pursue. He will be counted on to help lead the Pack defense in 2004 which tends to make most forget this is only a red-shirt sophomore. McCargo could become even more of a force if an able backup emerges that allows him to stay fresh into the fourth quarter.
- If McCargo builds on his outstanding freshman season, he is a legitimate candidate for first team all-acc mention and has the potential to earn some all-american honors although that could be a stretch.