Fire At Reynolds Coliseum

Sparks from a transformer malfunction started a fire at Reynolds Coliseum according to officials.

The fire started early Monday morning after the transformer shorted out and caught fire in the basement of Reynolds Coliseum.

"There were sparks coming out of that and it just started to smoke and I was told not to go into the building," Mary Bryne, N.C. State volleyball coach, told WRAL. "So then I called my assistant coaches and people on that side of the building and told them to get out."

According to officials on the scene, a couple of rooms were damaged but no one was harmed as close to 50 people had to be evacuated from the building. A firefighter was treated for heat-related injuries caused by the fire.

Reynolds had been undergoing renovations to the floor and interior that would benefit the volleyball, gymnastics, wrestling and women's basketball programs. It is unclear if the fire will slow such renovations as the gym area was not affected by the fire.


Pack Pride Top Stories