Junior Defensive Tackle
6-2, 295 pounds
Randolph Henry High School, Drakes Branch, Va
- McCargo had a superb freshman season, collecting 52 tackles- including 14 tackles for loss, three sacks and 16 QB hurries.
- In 2003 McCargo was in on 711 plays. He recorded a tackle or QB hurry on 10% of the plays (68).
- As a sophomore, McCargo collected 47 tackles, five tackles for loss, 12 QB hurries and one fumble caused.
- In 2004, McCargo was in on 576 plays. He recorded a tackle, caused fumble or QB hurry on 10% (60) of the plays.
- Freshman all-american (second team) by The Sporting News
- Freshman all-american (first team) by CollegeFootballNews.com
- all-conference honorable mention (freshman)
- named NC State's most valuable lineman
High School Accolades
- named all-state for both offense and defense as a senior
- two-star prospect
- No. 81 player in Virginia by The Roanoke Times
- RB coach Dick Portee
- McCargo was in for roughly 135 less snaps in 2004 versus 2003 although his production stayed fairly steady. However, there's no denying the fact that his production behind the line of scrimmage dropped dramatically in 2004. He recorded no sacks and recorded nine fewer tackles-for-loss. With all-american candidates Mario Williams and Manny Lawson coming off the edge and creating the most havoc- this drop may not be completely surprising as McCargo seemed most effective clogging the heart of opposing team's running lanes. 2005 is likely to be more of the same for McCargo although he certainly wouldn't envision another season with no sacks. However, this quiet leader is probably one of the Wolfpack's most unheralded, yet critical defensive components. His ability to occupy two offensive linemen and collapse running lanes has helped others to capture much of the spotlight.
- We feel that McCargo is a star waiting to explode. After a super freshman campaign, he fell out of the limelight somewhat in 2004 but has all the makings of an all-conference and potentially all-american caliber defensive tackle. McCargo is a huge sleeper to make a big splash as the 2005 season unfolds.