The class of 2007 will likely go down as one of the deepest classes ever for the state of North Carolina. Talent abounds from nearly every corner of the state and Pack Pride breaks down 70 of those special athletes as we present our annual look at the best North Carolina has to offer. Today, we rate prospects 61-70.
70. WR Avyd Baldwin...6-0, 170 pounds, 4.6-seconds in the 40...Christ School, Arden, NC
Notes....Baldwin is a productive wideout that had nine touchdowns and five picks as a junior. Lack of blazing speed may hurt him with some colleges but has potential. Favors UNC but Heels are unlikely to offer. Other schools on Baldwin's wish-list include State, Wake Forest, East Carolina and Louisville.
69. LB Max Gruder...6-2, 225 pounds, 4.8-seconds in the 40...Charlotte (NC) Country Day
Notes...Throwback player that throws his body around and thrives on contact. Speed may be a concern but is a football player first and foremost. Gruder is looking at Duke and Wake Forest in-state as well as Boston College, Rutgers and Pittsburgh out of state.
68. QB Dewain Clark...6-2, 200 pounds, 4.7-seconds in the 40...W Iredell HS, Statesville, NC
Notes...Clark threw for nearly 2,000 yards and 22 touchdowns as a junior. Grew up an NC State fan but a Wolfpack offer may be out of reach. Clark is also looking at Virginia, East Carolina, Wake Forest and South Carolina.
67. FB Ben Herlocker...6-0, 205 pounds, 4.6-seconds in the 40...Charlotte (NC) Catholic
Notes...Tough, bruising, inside runner that has helped his team emerge as on of the state's very best. Projects as a fullback. Grew up an NC State fan and favors the Wolfpack, UNC, Wake Forest, South Carolina and Virginia.
66. DB DeAndre Jones...6-0, 180 pounds, 4.5-seconds in the 40...W Craven HS, Cove City, NC
Notes...Jones has been a virtual unknown on the recruiting scene this year. He reports offers from South Carolina, East Carolina and UNC and likes NC State as well. Jones is also a track standout for West Craven.
65. DE Byron McKnight...6-4, 220 pounds, 4.7-seconds in the 40...Scotland County HS, Laurinburg, NC
Notes...Talented defensive teammate of all-american Travian Robertson and McKnight has earned some college interest of his own. South Carolina has been heavily involved as has UNC. NC State is keeping an eye on him as well.
64. QB Scott Riddle...6-0, 200 pounds, 4.7-seconds in the 40...E Randolph HS, Ramseur, NC
Notes...Very under-rated QB who looked extremely sharp at the Shrine Bowl combine held at UNC. Throws a nice ball but size is likely a concern. NC State keeping a close eye on him as a senior.
63. K Jay Wooten...6-3, 180 pounds...Scotland County HS, Laurinburg, NC
Notes...It is difficult to measure kickers against other positions but Wooten is certainly good enough that he should be listed as one of the state's best. Grew up a fan of UNC and committed shortly after earning an offer from the Heels. Wooten is a solid student.
62. LB Justin Wilkerson...6-4, 225 pounds, 4.7-second speed in the 40...Webb HS, Oxford, NC
Notes...Combination of good speed, size and smarts helped lead to a Duke offer and early commitment from Wilkerson. He does appear open to looking around, however.
61. QB Brandon Miley...6-3, 200 pounds...Hoggard HS, Wilmington, NC
Notes...Efficient, smart QB that will get looks from numerous schools during his senior year. Miley is looking at NC State, Virginia, UNC and East Carolina. Schools will probably want to look at him as a senior before offering.