The class of 2007 will likely go down as one of the deepest classes ever for the state of North Carolina. Talent abounds from nearly every corner of the state and Pack Pride breaks down 70 of those special athletes as we present our annual look at the best North Carolina has to offer. Today, we rate prospects 41-50.
50. S John Stamper...5-11, 190 pounds, 4.5-seconds in the 40...W Forsyth HS, Clemmons, NC
Notes....Stamper has good size and speed and performed well on the combine circuit. He committed to Wake Forest earlier this year and is the type of under-rated prospect that seems to thrive under Deacon head coach Jim Grobe.
49. LB Damian Thornton...6-2, 230 pounds, 4.8-seconds in the 40...Hibriten HS, Lenoir, NC
Notes...Big, physical LB that put up solid stats as a junior. Speed probably kept him from emerging as a major LB prospect but Duke got a good one in Thornton after he committed to the Blue Devils on Tuesday.
48. DE Kwamaine Battle...6-1, 250 pounds, 5.3-seconds in the 40...S Nash HS, Bailey, NC
Notes...The bottom line on Battle is, if VT head coach Frank Beamer feels good enough about his talent to offer, then who are we to question. Battle went almost completely under the radar but earned a Hokie offer at their camp and committed on the spot.
47. CB Derek Blacknall...5-11, 170 pounds, 4.4-seconds in the 40...Dudley HS, Greensboro, NC
Notes...Blacknall is a speedy, versatile athlete that impressed us at a combine earlier this year. He has great quickness and could help out at a number of spots. ECU and Ohio have offered with NC State and UNC keeping a close eye on him as well.
46. DL Antwan Jones...6-4, 250 pounds, 4.8-seconds in the 40...W Stokes HS, King, NC
Notes...Jones looked sharp during the spring combines but college interest may be tempered by grade concerns. His coaches have done a good job of keeping recruiting on the back burner and academics at the forefront. WF has offered with UNC, NC State and Clemson in the mix.
45. DE Miguel Chavis...6-4, 245 pounds, 4.83-seconds in the 40...Terry Sanford HS, Fayetteville, NC
Notes...Lifelong UNC fan that committed to the Heels this week over Wake Forest. Chavis is ripped for his age. Doesn't have great speed but should be able to help out the Heels down the road at their depleted defensive end spot.
44. DE Kourtnei Brown...6-5, 210 pounds, 4.6-seconds in the 40...Victory Christian, Charlotte, NC
Notes...Just when you thought the class of 2007 couldn't get any deeper, along comes Brown out of nowhere. He reportedly blew the Alabama coaches away at their camp and committed to the Tide shortly thereafter. Georgia, Clemson, South Carolina and NC State were also involved.
43. LB Kyle Jarrett...6-2, 210 pounds, 4.6-seconds in the 40...W Forsyth HS, Clemmons, NC
Notes...Teammate of fellow Wake Forest commit John Stamper. Jarrett is a tough-nosed LB that doesn't have blazing speed but gets the job done. He committed to the Deacons way back in August of 2005.
42. S Danny Dembry...6-2, 175 pounds, 4.7-seconds in the 40...Hertford County HS, Ahoskie, NC
Notes....Plays QB for Hertford County and is a quick, elusive player with the ball in his hands. Is being recruited as a QB or athlete depending on the college. From same school as NC State signee, LaMarcus Bond. Favors NC State over South Carolina, ECU, Wake Forest and Kentucky.
41. OL Sergio Glenn...6-6, 325 pounds, 5.2-seconds in the 40...N Forsyth HS, Winston-Salem, NC
Notes...With all the talent in North Carolina earning offers, this is one that has us scratching our heads. Glenn has looked solid at combines and has the size but has yet to earn an offer. Admittedly, he is a player that would need time to develop but he should get some offers at some point. He currently favors NC State and also likes Tennessee, Clemson and Virginia.