G- Greivis Vasquez
G- Eric Hayes
F- Landon Milbourne
F- Dave Neal
F- Adrian Bowie
G- Sean Mosley
G- Cliff Tucker
F- Dino Gregory
Greivis Vasquez: Vasquez was named second team All-ACC Monday in balloting by ACSMA. It was the second straight year Vasquez was a second-team selection. He torched the Wolfpack for 33 points in the win in Raleigh.
Maryland Game Notes
The ACC Tournament
• Maryland is the 7th seed in the tournament for the 6th time (last time in 1990).
• Maryland will be attempting to reach the quarterfinals for the first time since 2006.
• Maryland was the 2004 ACC Tournament champion, winning from the No. 6 seed... The Terps dispatched 3rd-seeded Wake Forest, #2 NC State and top-seeded Duke on consecutive days to earn the title.
• Terrapin head coach Gary Williams is 15-17 in 32 ACC Tournament games while at Maryland.
Gary Williams' 20th Season
Head coach Gary Williams reaches another in a career filled with milestones when he coaches his alma mater for the 20th season in 2008-09... He is the 6th-winningest active head coach in NCAA Division I men's basketball with an overall record of 622-355 (.637)... He ranks 3rd all-time (2nd active) among coaches at ACC schools with 415 victories at Maryland, and also ranks 2nd among active league coaches with 172 ACC victories... Williams is the Terps' all-time winningest coach... He earned his 400th victory at his alma mater on 11/21 with an overtime win over Vermont... His 415 wins in 20 years are an average of 20.8 wins per season with the Terps... Maryland's 70-65 victory over Boston College (2/6/2008) gave Williams his 600th career victory... Only six other active head coaches in Division I have 600 career wins... Williams picked up his 400th victory at Maryland against Vermont (11/21)... The milestone came in dramatic fashion, as Vasquez buried a 3-pointer with 6 seconds left to force overtime... The Terps scored the fi rst 17 points of the extra period, earning the most lopsided OT victory in school history with a 17-2 edge in the extra session... Williams picked up the victory over former assistant Mike Lonergan, now in his 4th season as head coach at Vermont.
Milestones, Streaks, etc.
• Maryland has hit at least one 3-pointer in 350 consecutive games.
• The Terps are 62-6 in non-conference games in Comcast Center.
• Maryland has won at least 19 games in 12 straight seasons... A victory today over NC State would extend that streak.
• The Terps have made 15 consecutive postseason appearances.
• Maryland's last losing season came in 1992-93, the last season of devastating NCAA sanctions levied against previous staffs at Maryland... Each school in the ACC has had a losing season since the Terps fell below .500 some 15 seasons ago... In fact, 9 of the 11 ACC opponents have suffered through a losing season since the Terps won the NCAA title in 2002... Duke and UNC are the exceptions.
• Between 2004-05 and 2007-08, Maryland won 82 games, an average of 20.5 per season... That matches the number of wins that Gary Williams directed during the first four seasons (1994-97) of Maryland's run of 11 straight NCAA Tournaments.
A victory in the first round over NC State would put the Terrapins in the 7 p.m. quarterfinal matchup on Friday with 2nd-seeded Wake Forest... The Terrapins played the Demon Deacons to a 65-63 loss on March 3 at Comcast Center... Dave Neal made the most of Senior Night by leading Maryland with 19 points in that game... Maryland is in the same half of the ACC Tournament bracket with 3rd-seeded Duke, which will face the 9:30 p.m. quarterfinal on Friday against the winner of the late first-round game between No. 6-seed Boston College and 11th-seeded Virginia... The championship game of the tournament is at 1 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.
Maryland Among ACC's Best Last Ten Years
Maryland has been one of the top programs in the ACC over the past 10 seasons:
• With 107 wins since 1999, Maryland is 3rd among all ACC schools in regular-season wins.
• Head coach Gary Williams ranks 2nd among active ACC coaches with 172 career wins in league play.
• The Terps captured the 2002 ACC regular-season title & the 2004 ACC Tourney championship.
• Maryland owns the league's best record in games against Duke and North Carolina over the past 10-plus seasons. The Terps are 20-28 in games against Duke and Carolina since the 1998-99 season... No other ACC team has more than 14 wins against the Blue Devils and Tar Heels in that time.
Maryland vs. Ranked Teams
Under Gary Williams
Since Gary Williams took over in 1989-90, Maryland has 69 wins over Top-25 teams, including the 80-62 victory over then-5th-ranked Michigan State on Thanksgiving Night and an 88-85 overtime victory over #3 North Carolina.
• Williams is the nation's winningest active coach vs. top-ranked teams with seven career victories over a No. 1 opponent (6 at Maryland; 1 at Ohio State).
• Under Williams, Maryland has defeated 19 Top-5 opponents, 32 Top-10 opponents and the No. 1 team 6 times.
• Maryland has 21 wins over Top-10 teams the last 9 years.
• The Terps have defeated at least one Top-10 opponent in 16 of 20 seasons under Williams, including 13 straight.
• Williams has led victories over 1st-, 2nd- or 3rd-ranked teams in 8 of the last 10 seasons.
Between playing in the Atlantic Coast Conference (currently ranked 1st as a league in the Sagarin Computer Ratings) and facing three ranked teams in the 2008 Old Spice Classic, the Maryland men's basketball schedule is formidable:
• In this week's rankings, 5 Terrapin opponents for 2008-09 are currently ranked in the Top 12 in the Associated Press poll (#1 North Carolina, #7 Michigan State, #8 Wake Forest, #9 Duke, #12 Gonzaga)...
• 7 Terrapin opponents for 2008-09 are currently ranked among the Top 25 teams in the Associated Press poll (previous schools along with #17 Clemson and #22 Florida State).
• 8 Terrapin opponents for 2008-09 are either ranked or are receiving votes in the Associated Press poll, including American.
• Maryland has played 7 games against teams ranked in the Top-10 at the time of the contest... That's the most since the 2000-01 Final Four team played 10 Top-10 opponents.
• Maryland is the lone ACC team that will face conference home-and-home series with North Carolina and Duke... The Terps also play twice in the regular season against Miami.
Strong at The Line
Through games of 3/8, Maryland was 7th in the nation in team free-throw percentage... The Terps come into today's game at .768, ahead of the rest of the ACC (North Carolina is 2nd in the league at .763)... Of the seven Terps who have made at least 15 foul shots this year, six of them are hitting 71 percent or better at the line this season... Maryland has out-scored opponents at the line in 18 of 30 games this season (16-2 in those games)... Against Virginia Tech, the Terrapins made 24 of 26 (.923) shots from the foul line, including 22 of 23 in the second half... Landon Milbourne (6-6), Adrian Bowie (4-4), Eric Hayes (4-4) and Dino Gregory (2-2) had perfect games at the stripe... Maryland has had 12 games this season in which it's shot .800 or better from the floor and 3 games in which it's shot .900 or better. Through games of 3/1, Southern Utah led the nation with a .794 percentage... Maryland's school-record for team FT percentage for a season is .758, set in 1976.
Maryland is 47-47 all-time in overtime games... Maryland has played at least one overtime game in 15 of the last 17 seasons, including each of the last 7 years.
• Maryland's 89-74 OT win over Vermont (11/21/08) marked the largest winning margin in an overtime game for the Terps, who outscored the Catamounts 17-2, including the fi rst 17 points of the extra session.
• Maryland is 25-17 in overtime games played at home, including a 6-0 mark at Comcast Center... The most recent OT win came on 2/21/09 against 3rd-ranked North Carolina.
• The Terps are 16-16 in overtime games under Gary Williams.
• Maryland was 1-0 in overtime games last season after posting a 74-72 victory over Northeastern on 11/15/07.
Adept at Long Range
Maryland has proven to be one of the nation's most proficient 3-point shooting teams since the rule was instituted in 1987.
• Maryland has made at least one 3-pointer in 350 consecutive games.
• Maryland has failed to make a 3-pointer just twice in the last 419 games.
• The last game the Terps failed to make a 3-pointer was 1/7/1999 when Maryland went 0-for-7 from 3-point range in a 71-66 win at Virginia.
• Since Gary Williams took over, Maryland has hit a 3-pointer in 634 of 641 games.
• Since the rule was instituted in 1987, Maryland has hit at least one three-pointer in 691 of 700 games.
• Maryland made a school-record 217 treys in 2001-02.
• The Terps' top 3-point shooting percentage was .461 (122-for-290) in 1987-88.
• Maryland set new school records for most 3-pointers in a game (17) and most 3-point attempts (37) in 2006-07 against Missouri-Kansas City.