Francis, who was the first 2013 prospect to commit to UNC, was anticipating the ruling. During a recent visit to campus, primary recruiter Randy Jordan warned the 5-foot-9, 181-pound tailback from Durham (N.C.) Hillside that the NCAA's ruling was forthcoming.
"He was saying it should be out in a week or two," Francis said. "He just wanted me to be aware that it was keeping and not to worry when it did."
Since the ruling, Francis hasn't spoken to anyone from UNC.
The sanctions don't change the status of Francis's verbal commitment to UNC.
"I'm still committed to Carolina," Francis said. "I'm the same as I was before."
When he verbally committed in early February, UNC was Francis's lone scholarship offer. Since then, Clemson and Syracuse have offered, leading to speculation that Francis wasn't as firmly committed as before.
"I'm still the same," Francis said. "I haven't changed just because I got other offers. I've always said that I would consider other schools that offer me – I said that from the beginning. But I'm still sold on Carolina. I'm still confident in Carolina. I haven't made any other visits."
However, visits to other schools could occur in the near future. In addition to Francis, Clemson offered a few other Hillside prospects, prompting the group, including Francis, to consider a road trip to Clemson.
"I don't think North Carolina should be worried or thinking Clemson might flip me," Francis said. "I just want to enjoy the experience and see other schools as well."
Francis plans to attend UNC's Spring Game on April 14 and said he is considering dropping by a couple practices beforehand.