* Last week, the Rocky Mountain News reported that unrestricted free agent Shammond Williams is not expected to return to Denver.
* The word on NBA veteran and unrestricted free agent Scott Williams from the East Valley Tribune was that Phoenix wants him back, and Williams wants to play another season. According to the report, Scott Williams will be offered the $1 million veteran's exception.
* Tomeco Murray of Charlotte recently asked Seattle Post-Intelligencer Sonics beat writer Danny O'Neil about the future of former Tar Heel Joseph Forte with Seattle.
O'Neil posted this reply at the paper's website --
"Don't expect Forte back with Seattle when training camp opens. At least I don't. He's still on the payroll in case his million-dollar salary is needed to make a trade work under the league's guidelines. If he isn't part of a trade, the Sonics could pay off the year remaining on his guaranteed contract. He's not making progress toward the rotation, and he has burned bridges with teammates and coaching staff."
It can also be noted that Forte will not be on the Sonic's summer team that begins play in the L.A. Summer Pro League this week. The three roster spots for active players went to Ansu Sesay, Ronald Murray and Vladimir Radmanovic.
* Here's a look at the current contract status of the Tar Heels in the NBA --
Vince Carter (Toronto): signed thru 2007, $10.067 million last year.
Hubert Davis (Detroit): signed thru 2004, $2.69 millon last year.
Joseph Forte (Seattle): signed thru 2004, $1.01 million last year.
Rick Fox (Lakers): signed thru 2005, $3.89 million last year.
Brendan Haywood (Washington): signed thru 2004, $1.05 million last year.
Antawn Jamison (Golden State): signed thru 2006, $10.07 million last year.
George Lynch (New Orleans): signed thru 2005, $2.6 million last year.
Jeff McInnis (Portland): signed thru 2005, $3 million last year.
Eric Montross (Toronto): signed thru 2005, $2.72 million last year.
Jerry Stackhouse (Washington): signed thru 2007, $6.375 million last year.
Rasheed Wallace (Portland): signed thru 2004, $14.93 million last year.
Scott Williams (Phoenix): unrestricted free agent, $1.03 million last year.
Shammond Williams (Denver): unrestricted free agent, $1.97 million last year.
(Source - USA Today print edition dated 3/18/2003)
PERKINS VISITS CHAPEL HILL
* Sam Perkins took a break from his hectic schedule recently to be part of the Carolina Pros basketball camp in Chapel Hill. The folks at UNC's official school web site, TarHeelBlue, caught up with Perkins and informed readers that "Big Smooth" now travels the country running SOHO (Sam On His Own) Productions, a concert promotion company.
The story also mentioned that Perkins will be returning to Chapel Hill in August for an alumni game at the Smith Center that is organized by Jerry Stackhouse.
CARTER: TRADE BOSH
* Vince Carter was awarded 'Quote of the Day' last Wednesday by Phil Jasner of the Philadelphia Daily News. Carter was quoted by the Daytona Beach News-Journal to say, "I would prefer to trade [Chris Bosh] to get a veteran. We need to win right now, not in a couple years. We need experience."
A somewhat chilly reception for the fourth pick in the draft from Georgia Tech, to which we can only add, "Welcome to the NBA, Mr. Bosh."
JOHNSON TAKES TRIP TO SPAIN
* According to a report by the Carolinas Basketball League that was posted at oursportscentral.com last week, former Tar Heel Will Johnson left the services of the Hickory Nutz to participate in a tryout in Spain. Johnson is due back to the team in two weeks.