Giles Attends UNC-Duke, Wins State Title

Harry Giles didn't play in a single game this year for High Point (N.C.) Wesleyan Christian. But he was at every workout, every practice, every scrimmage and every game.

Sometimes he was quiet, watching and wishing he could play with the team's seniors like UNC signee Theo Pinson. Sometimes he was vocal, exploding off the bench to celebrate a three from Michael Buckland or to marvel at a dunk by Pinson.

Though a knee injury kept him from playing this season, he still was a part of the team. A part of a championship team.

Wesleyan topped Greensboro Day, 53-46, on Saturday to win its second-straight NCISAA 3A title.

"It's always a good feeling to win a championship," said Giles,'s No. 1 player in the class of 2016. "It's something that we accomplished together and that we'll always remember. It was a great way for our seniors to go out."

Pinson, who calls Giles his "little brother," finished the game with 15 points. Seven of those, however, came in the final minutes of regulation. Coming through in the clutch is something Giles has come to expect from his teammate.

"He did what he's supposed to do," Giles said. "It's something I knew he was capable of. I'm happy for him. Winning your last high school game is a great way to go out."

Though he accepted shortly after the injury that he wouldn't be able to be on the court, Giles admitted Saturday's championship game was the hardest to watch of the year.

"It was tough," explained Giles. "With a minute left, you're down five and thinking 'if I was out there I could help.' But my teammates got it done."

Two nights earlier, Giles was at the Smith Center for UNC's win over Duke. It was his fifth unofficial visit to UNC in the last year – UVa and Duke in 2013, ‘Late Night with Roy' in Oct. 2013 and UNC's win over Kentucky were the others.

Because of a Wesleyan playoff game, Giles arrived at the Smith Center just as the game started. He could tell 2014's version of the rivalry was different.

"It just seemed more intense this year," Giles said. "I guess it's because the first one got postponed, but it was even more hype. This was the most intense game I've been to. It was a good atmosphere as well as a great game."

Following the game, Giles was able to briefly talk with UNC head coach Roy Williams.

"I told him congratulations on the win," said Giles. "He was just asking me about my knee and my health, and how I was doing. He told me they really wanted me and thanked me for coming."

Two nights later, he took in Duke's win over Syracuse at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The purpose of multiple campus trips, Giles said, is to get a feel for the school and program in different environments.

"Every game isn't going to be Duke-Carolina," he said. "You have to look at the big games and the smaller games. During the games I'm just looking at my position on both sides, not any particular player, and just seeing what they do."

It's been a little more than nine months since Giles's injury. Though a date isn't set, he hopes to be cleared in the next two months. When he does return, he'll play AAU with the CP3 17U team.

"When I think I'm ready and I'm back and comfortable playing like I can, then I'll get back on the court," he said. "I'm working out and doing everything but playing. Soon, I'm going to start cutting and stuff."

Harry Giles Profile

Inside Carolina Top Stories